Interview Questions and process

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Interview Questions and process

Hi, I was wondering if I can get some pointers on some common interview questions that employers in HK ask during the interview process. I have some common questions that if you can provide some good suggestions on how to answer would also help me. I am in the banking and finance industry.
    -Why did you chose to come back HK to work rather than work in Canada?
    -Why did you choose this bank rather than other competitive banks?
    -Why should we hire you?
    If you have other interview questions that you came across that you thought were challenging, please provide me with them.

Also, does anybody know how the interview process is conducted in HK? Do you need to go through 3 interview process or just one and how long it will take to land the job after a successful interview? Any other relevant information regarding interview process or questions are also welcome.

First two questions .. answer is money and opportunities... ("avoiding the mounties" is a bad answer).

For the 3rd question, if I was doing the interview, I would be interested in hearing YOUR reply, not one you pick up on the on-line forum.

I can't stand it when people give me generic answers to questions, that just about guarantees me not calling you back. You have to remember whenever you go into an interview you have to "SELL" yourself. It's irrelevant that you don't have a job in sales. During the interview you are the salesman and you are the product. Now the key is to find the hook which the customer (i.e. hiring manager) is looking for. If you lay out a plan how you can make that company or specific team better with you in it (with specific examples) that seals the deal. You have to find skills which separate you from 1000 other joe/shmos which I can get in the door. If you are just ordinary, but hard worker, I'm not interested unless you come cheap.

Think about what YOU have to offer and play that up.

Last edited by climber07; 01-06-2007 at 04:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KnowItAll:
    First two questions .. answer is money and opportunities... ("avoiding the mounties" is a bad answer).
    I would think answering "Money", as the first answer out of your mouth, would not be the smartest thing either.

Crocodile -- ok... I agree I was a bit flippant about it, but in 90% of the cases, isnt that the most honest answer?

Quote Originally Posted by KnowItAll:
    Crocodile -- ok... I agree I was a bit flippant about it, but in 90% of the cases, isnt that the most honest answer?

It may be the most honest answer but that is the best way to set yourself up for a trap.

If you say that the reason you're looking for a new job is for more money, my next natural question as an interviewer is what is your current pay level? At that point, since "you" as an interviewee brought up the money, you will be compelled to answer. If the number is higher than what we're looking for, you just eliminated yourself from the candidate pool, if it's lower, you just sold your potential employer a "Cap" (or those unfamiliar with derivatives, "you gave yourself a salary ceiling").

Thus, as a general rule, try to avoid money for as long as possible.

Does that mean focus on the opportunities that HK offers in the banking industry rather than saying you came back for money? But, then they will ask you why you choose HK rather than canada...how to answer that?

Ok, so for question 3 I should be selling myself. But, what main key words are the employers looking for that I can say to seperate myself from other 1000 people? I mean I know I should mention experience, education background, etc...but are there other key statements to help make me stand out more?

Quote Originally Posted by sideduck:
    Does that mean focus on the opportunities that HK offers in the banking industry rather than saying you came back for money? But, then they will ask you why you choose HK rather than canada...how to answer that?

Ok, so for question 3 I should be selling myself. But, what main key words are the employers looking for that I can say to seperate myself from other 1000 people? I mean I know I should mention experience, education background, etc...but are there other key statements to help make me stand out more?

List specifics. Were there any processes you worked on which yoy made better/streamlined? Did they perhaps save a company money or freed up resources? Did you find a solution to any specific problems? Did you successfully resolve a conflict (internal or with a client)? Stuff like that.

As far as Hong Kong vs. Canada, you could always list wanting a a more rounded exposure to a variety of products. Asian markets are also much different than North America (so wanting an exposure to Asian product/markets could be a right approach). If you are a Canadian national, saying that you wanted to experience an international working environment is also an option.

Regarding your second question - be careful. You should know specifics about the bank, but unless you are relatively senior the hiring manager is probably going to assume that you just chose that bank because they gave you an interview. A better approach would be to discuss why that institution is appealing to you, blah blah. But, don't just ramble off info from their web site. For me, thats a sure sign that the kid I'm interviewing didn't really do his homework or spend much time thinking about why he wants to work for my institution.
    The last thing anyone wants is to hire someone who is just desparate for a decent job.

Also, regarding the why do you want to work in Asia issue - do NOT tell the interviewer that you were bored with your last job, etc. etc., because it is likely that many of your day to day tasks will be similar. Also, be prepared to talk about your long term plans and whether you plan to stay in HK for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by sideduck:
    But, then they will ask you why you choose HK rather than canada...how to answer that?
    I think we need to start with the obvious: what is the real answer you chose HK rather than canada? The honest answer is always best...unless its something that would paint you in a bad light...and then it's all about the spin!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast