Like Tree1Likes

Working in Kowloon, recommendations for commuting/serviced apartments

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Working in Kowloon, recommendations for commuting/serviced apartments

My girlfriend and I will be moving to HK early August and will be working in West Kowloon. We are unsure of where to look for accommodation and what sort of areas would be easily accessible commute wise. Wanchai and HK Island seem like good options but is this a reasonable and do able commute? Also money wise is it going to cost me a fortune just to get to work? We are thinking a serviced apartment for the first month/6 weeks until we find our feet but what would be a good location for the serviced apartment? All recommendations and advice would be appreciated as not long until we leave! Thank you

I've just moved to HK and we live in some serviced apartments in Hung Hom called Harbourfront. Great facilities!!!! Also on Kowloon side, has free shuttle bus to TST so easy access to the island. There are sister serviced apartments around them called harbourview and harbourplace. Hope that helps

Quote Originally Posted by Frankiecc:
    I've just moved to HK and we live in some serviced apartments in Hung Hom called Harbourfront. Great facilities!!!! Also on Kowloon side, has free shuttle bus to TST so easy access to the island. There are sister serviced apartments around them called harbourview and harbourplace. Hope that helps
    I lived there. It's not convenient to West Kowloon for public transport.
    Football16 likes this.

You are right to do the service flat route first. If your g/f is not working but seeking work it is not a bad idea to live in an accessible area to where you work and also with good transit options for her should she get a job any distance away. If there is travel distance, being on an MTR line is not a bad choice.

Budget is a major determinant for area and quality of life. Once you post your budget and a bit about what you looking for in the flat this should prompt more suggestions.

If you have the budget, do not bother with the island and get a place at West Kowloon.

for long term you may consider the Olympic area in Western Kowloon.

Quote Originally Posted by Football16:
    You are right to do the service flat route first. If your g/f is not working but seeking work it is not a bad idea to live in an accessible area to where you work and also with good transit options for her should she get a job any distance away. If there is travel distance, being on an MTR line is not a bad choice.

Budget is a major determinant for area and quality of life. Once you post your budget and a bit about what you looking for in the flat this should prompt more suggestions.
    My girlfriend and I will both be working at the same school, so its really about timing and cost of commuting between Wanchai/Soho/Central perhaps or living close by to the school on the MTR line. We've read that lots of expats live in Wanchai area and that maybe we'll get more for our money? (budget approx 20k). It seems there is lots more accomodation available on HK Island?

I think you are crazy if you are both working in West Kowloon and then you live on HK Island. Why dont you look around West Kowloon, somewhere like Olympic? Its cheaper on the Kowloon side. If you want to go to central, its only 5 minutes (2 stops) from Olymic MTR to Central.

For your $20k budget, you will get a lot more on the Kowloon side, plus be a much better commute to work.

Last edited by bdw; 11-07-2011 at 06:39 PM.

at your budget you can probably get a 1-room apartment in Wan Chai/Central for a newer development (that offer clubhouse recreate facilities).
    or you can get a bigger apartment in older building/estates (say >20yrs)
    but if both of you're working in western kowloon, why bother to take a longer daily journey from Island side to work place (also the transportation cost)? you can get a better deal in Kowloon side in terms of apartment size, facilities, etc..

Yeah but its the dark side....THE DARK SIDE!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast