Like Tree197Likes

London riots

Closed Thread
Page 8 of 43 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 16 ... LastLast

It's probably already there since Sunday

Quote Originally Posted by Creative83:
    I like your rant.

I do find British parents of troubled children (haven't met Scottish so i don't know) are overly protective of their child. It almost feels like their strategy is to lower standards and care only for their the child's feelings while not putting priority on actual achievements. How are they going to survive once opportunities equalize around the world? By burning down shops? Lets hope not.
    I've found this to be common among MANY nationalities. A Korean child was bullying Mini-S in Singapore. He was the tallest and oldest kid in the class, for now I'll call him Kim. When he told me about it - he wouldn't tell me at first but I knew something was going on (frequent bumps on head where he'd been pushed over for example). I mentioned it to the teacher (a lovely Kiwi lady). She told me that they had in fact called Kim's parents into school several times as they had witnessed how he started nasty incidents. Kim's father refused to believe that his son was to blame and actively tried to have my son removed from the school. In the end he was on a final warning. We have since left Singapore so I have no idea what happened in the end but I'm sure his parents are still insisting that they are the injured parties. I have other examples of incidents where kids have misbehaved in my home and parents have refused to believe it - Australian and American. I'm no over-protective mama by they way, Mini-S can be a little git sometimes, if ever anything happens my usual question would be "Ok what did YOU do to bring that on."

Quote Originally Posted by Freetrader:
    Every thing you have written is actually a positive - in fact the Brits are adjusting just fine to the realities of the 21st century.

The fact that 30 years ago the Brits finally closed the epically incompetent, loss making, and strife-ridden British Leland is testament to the maturity of the country's citizens, not evidence of weakness. As far as aerospace, I believe that the Brits own part of Airbus, which gives Boeing a run for its money...and while I am certainly an 'interventionist', British defense is mutually dependant on their alliances within NATO with other medium sized powers (such as Canada!) as well as (with always mixed feelings) the US. Nothing wrong with that. The days when war with Germany or France were even a remote likelihood ended around 1989.

Finally, and especially because I love the Brits, please don't mention Harry Potter. Fondness for Harry Potter, along with the idealization of the former and late Princess Di, is of the most depressing British tendencies; it really does represent the worst in the British character.
    Won't argue with you on Potter or the royal family. Personally, I never understood the anachronistic obsession with the royal family. I don't hate them but I don't particularly care for them either.They don't paid taxes. And I don't buy the hogwash over the national symbolism and all that stuff they represent. Whatever the latest gossip is on Prince William or Kate is not my concern.

However on your mutually dependent point in regards to defence and NATO, there is a limit to that kind of cooperation you referred to. Notice how the UK is complaining that other NATO members, especially Germany, isn't pulling their weight in the Libyan campaign? And what about the 'Falklands" scenario? The UK was pretty much on it's own in that campaign. Can one be so certain that another "Falklands" will never occur again? Given it's depleted strength, it is highly unlikely the British military can mount a similiar operation today.

But getting back to topic, can anyone compare the kind of riot/crowd control techniques in the UK with US or Canada? I wonder what would happen if the UK applied US-style riot control, or if the US applied UK-style crowd control...
    Last edited by Watercooler; 09-08-2011 at 04:10 PM.

Actually they DO pay taxes these days. Voluntarily, I believe.

And bring in heaps of revenue through tourism

Quote Originally Posted by Watercooler:
    But getting back to topic, can anyone compare the kind of riot/crowd control techniques in the UK with US or Canada? I wonder what would happen if the UK applied US-style riot control, or if the US applied UK-style crowd control...
    Difficult to say. The US hardly ever has any riots.

Another thing the Brits should take comfort in is that this type of thing is fairly rare in the UK - whereas in France at least, summer rioting is practically the national sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Satay Sue:
    It's probably already there since Sunday
    It is! Security Bureau - Outbound Travel Alert - Information

Quote Originally Posted by drumbrake:
    and check the link on that page to the Canadian site too!

Quote Originally Posted by Freetrader:
    Difficult to say. The US hardly ever has any riots.
    LOL! List of race riots - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Watercooler likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jacky_se:
    Yeah, I was there for the prison riots in 06'. Brutal. Got a new leather wallet out of it.

Closed Thread
Page 8 of 43 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 16 ... LastLast