Looking for short-term (cheap!) accommodation w/ easy commute to Queens Road Central

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Min07 - I looked for October and it was full then - explains a lot. Shame.

Quote Originally Posted by luckycat:
    You must have me confused with another LuckyCat - not me... ahem.

Tsuen Wan will be, what, 40 minutes to HK Station? Similar (if not a little longer) to the Lamma option. I think that's the best bet for the OP if he wants to save his pennies.

OP - another thing to add is that public transport (taxi, bus, ferrry, MTR) is cheap as chips and very reliable and frequent - don't be afraid to use it to get to/from work in those few weeks. It will save you money by not being in central.
    28 mins by mtr (feels weird that I'm sitting on the mtr towards central as I type this)

That hotel in Nina tower looks nice. Abit pricier than the Lamma option though (USD95 on agoda). Nina tower is about 2 minutes walk to Tsuen Wan West MTR station - which is about 12 minutes to TST East, walk 5 minutes to TST and 2 stops (6 mins) to Central. That's probably more like 30 mins all up (with walking and waiting) not 40.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    That hotel in Nina tower looks nice. Abit pricier than the Lamma option though (USD95 on agoda). Nina tower is about 2 minutes walk to Tsuen Wan West MTR station - which is about 12 minutes to TST East, walk 5 minutes to TST and 2 stops (6 mins) to Central. That's probably more like 30 mins all up (with walking and waiting) not 40.
    Yep or direct train from tsuen wan station (not west) but no idea how far that is from hotel. Then again as a newbie he might enjoy the star ferry from tst!

Ps my dad stayed for less than 500hkd a night lucky so n so

Quote Originally Posted by justjoe86:
    Yep or direct train from tsuen wan station (not west) but no idea how far that is from hotel. Then again as a newbie he might enjoy the star ferry from tst!

Ps my dad stayed for less than 500hkd a night lucky so n so
    It's much slower to take the not west station. It stops at every lamp post and is about a 15 minute walk (or 5 minute cab ride) from the hotel. The west-rail is MUCH faster (about 4 stops to TSTE from memory, compared to 13 to TST on the other line) , just need to connect to get to the Island.
    Last edited by MovingIn07; 07-09-2011 at 05:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dempers:
    Slim... Less than GBP80/day preferably
    I'd be a little concerned about that. 80 quid is extremely stingy. Does your manager/company understand what an expensive place HK is as far as accommodation is concerned? Hope you’ve thought this through and you’re getting a good financial package as you’re bringing the wife and a kid too.

This is exactly what was meant when someone said one person's cheap is another's expensive. For one person to stay by himself for a few weeks I don't see why 80 quid is overly cheap. Yes you might need to shop around a bit but you'll find somewhere nice enough for that price.

I'm pretty sure the hotel I linked to would be ok, or is 30 mins a huge commute?

or is 30 mins a huge commute?
    There are plenty of people on this site who think so. I think they are just odd, but there you go!

There I was thinking you were banned!

OP... what are your requirements in terms of location?

Location isn't all that important - I just need to be able to get to/from work using something more reliable than London public transport (shouldn't be hard really...)

Quote Originally Posted by bryant.english:
    Presumably your manager is paying for the hotel right?

nope...they're paying for the full relocation etc (which is quite a generous package so no complaints there) but as they are providing serviced appartment for 6 weeks already, the company line is that I could use half of that for this trip and still be okay... I just prefer having more time to look for permanent accommodation with the whole family.

Hence the need to save the £££ (or $$$).