Like Tree2Likes

English subs in cinemas

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

English subs in cinemas

Hi, Does anybody know of any venues that play movies (Chinese / Japanese) with english subs? just curious.

Thanks

All the big chains such as palace, Amc etc do.

i thought they all did? when you go onto citlyline.com.hk they list the movies with their language and which subtitles they have.

chinese as in cantonese films will have english subs, while mardarin films may only have chinese sub ( for non mandarin speakers), i have yet to see any cinema showing a japanese film with english sub as they only show chinese sub (been to grand, amc, boardway, apm and ua), seen yamato, L, departure and detriot metal city.

I was told once that there was colonial-era legislation that required Chinese-language films to be subtitled in English...

We did end up seeing a Korean film earlier this year (about ski-jumping) which was in Korean with Chinese subtitles - I was actually surprised how well I could follow the story without being able to understand a word of the spoken or subtitled dialog

But is it English?

Original Post Deleted
    Likewise in Broadway Palace cinema in IFC,

Quote Originally Posted by vmlinuz:
    I was told once that there was colonial-era legislation that required Chinese-language films to be subtitled in English...\
    This is true! For movies made in Hong Kong, they must have English subtitled, but it wasn't until 1963. Even though the reasons were sketchy, it had the nice effect of introducing HK cinema to the rest of the world
    bookblogger likes this.

ummm....is not both Chinese and English the official languages of Hong Kong? Have you picked up a bottle of shampoo lately and noticed that the ingredients label is also in English? English is still a national language in Hong Kong....not that unique. Read the Basic Law.

Thanks, I'll check out the venues you mentioned. The movie I want to see is Makoto Shinkai's latest 'Children Who Chase Lost Voices from Deep Below' ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by packy_crusher:
    Have you picked up a bottle of shampoo lately and noticed that the ingredients label is also in English?
    I did buy two bottles of lemon drink a couple days ago because they were buy one get one free. I kinda worked it out because the special offer label had a big '1' and '2' on it (no English unfortunately). I need to improve my Chinese reading to a level where I can at least understand labels but that is another story!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast