Best place to buy a Rolex: Hong Kong, Singapore or Switzerland?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Best place to buy a Rolex: Hong Kong, Singapore or Switzerland?

Can anyone tell me: what place got the best price?

You could take the price of a real Rolex, fly to NYC stay in a nice hotel, watch a Broadway show, and pick one up in Battery Park.

Prices in Shenzen are better than Hong Kong but Shanghai market is probably cheaper as Shenzen raises its prices due to all the visitors.

But seriously if you're buying a Rolex you don't ask about the price.

If you really really know how to spot a real rolex .. Macau Pawn shops from what I've been told.

KIA's suggestion above is actually very good (if you want something real, but used and without warranty).

If you're talking about a brand new authentic piece with international warranty then the difference in prices will actually be rather insignificant in most places. I have never been to Switzerland so I cannot speak to the prices there. However, the best prices for most luxury watches I've seen anywhere in the world so far would have to be Caribbean (possibly St. Maarten). The reason being that you're not paying taxes and the import duties most countries slap onto luxury items. Thus you can get an authentic piece with warranty often up to 20% -25% lower than MSRP.

u can try pawn shops in sg as well, it might be slightly more expensive but i guess the chances of u catching fake goods is lesser.

Actually, the price of authentic Rolex watches can vary and it is worth doing some research. If you are rolling in the stuff then ofcourse just go to Landmark and buy with arrogance. Last time I was in Zurich I was shocked at the prices they were charging and they don't even have the 20% off just for asking like they do here. The UK is also very expensive compared to Hong Kong. Singapore is an uncertainty to me.
    An alternative is to buy second-hand but buyer beware.

I'm a watch fanatic (doesnt mean I own many watches not at all)

China: Original pieces there are very very very high! so thats a NO NO.
    Since you mentioned Rolex, Fake Rolex watches are almost flawless same goes for Panerai series. Only way to identify authenticity is to open up and inspect the mechanism (serial numbers on mechanism itself etc)
    So regarding Macau pawnshop only if you find/trust a reputable store or if you are an expert yourself go ahead.
    If you plan for future resell value Rolex wise, its best to get from an authorized dealer with relevant certification.

Fine watches although Swiss made are more expensive in Swiss. I would say that Malaysia has the cheapest 'range' of watches (partly also because of forex) please ask them for discounts depending on brands and models you might get anything up to 30% off.

all the best hunting and do share your future timepiece

Last edited by sp1key; 07-08-2007 at 05:08 PM.

Why are you being so cheap if you are willing to spend the money on a rolex? A few bucks shouldn't matter to you.

Quote Originally Posted by lulumay:
    Why are you being so cheap if you are willing to spend the money on a rolex? A few bucks shouldn't matter to you.

I'm sorry but that is possibly one of stupidest statements which people constantly use. Just because you have the money to spend on an expensive watch, doesn't mean you want to overpay to get it!!!

It is the mindset that "few bucks shouln't matter" which made idiots liek MC Hammer and many professional athletes lose everything they had (when they suddenly came into money).

People who made their money, still often know the value of a $ and will not throw it out when they don't have to.

"A fool and his money were lucky enough to get together in the first place." - Gordon Gekko

My brother-in-law's friend has been working in the watch industry for decades, and he told me that rolex has a pretty strict MSRP policy in Hong Kong as in the maximum discount you can give your customers is a 20% discount (or 25% I can't remember) of the MSRP. If you start selling them for anything less they'll stop supplying your shop with watches, so unless you know a retailer in Hong Kong very well it'll be hard to get a discount of more than 20 or 25%.

But with other watches like Cartier, Bvlgari, etc. etc. sometimes you can get a huge discount of up to 40 to 45% if you're a regular customer.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast