Like Tree15Likes

When did they introduce mobile phone signals in the MTR?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

When did they introduce mobile phone signals in the MTR?

Just curious really.

Anyone know?

Yes, tried google, but my search skills suck at present as the tea lady hasn't brought me my coffee.

Seems like MTR Corp was providing 2nd Gen mobile phone coverage in its underground stations and tunnels as early as 1992. Don't know if that is sufficiently conclusive (or specific enough) for your purposes ...

http://www.ofta.gov.hk/en/3g-licensi...tation-mtr.pdf

Last edited by John Doe Jr; 27-09-2011 at 10:44 AM.
    pin likes this.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    In 1993 Hong Kong Telecommunications Ltd., recently renamed Cable & Wireless HKT, installed radio coverage in the city's 43 kilometers (27 miles) of metro tunnels and stations.
    New Frontier for Mobile-Phone Operators Lies Underground - NYTimes.com
    pin likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    Just curious really.

Anyone know?

Yes, tried google, but my search skills suck at present as the tea lady hasn't brought me my coffee.
    did she at least bring you tea? perhaps getting a different coffee lady to bring you coffee might speed up efficiency?

to add flavor to this post...i have no idea on when they started mtr service. mine always cuts in and out, so im assuming its still a work in progress.

Are you asking because it was just in the news this week that New York is finally starting a trial involving 4 stations? I cannot believe NYC still doesnt have phone signal in their subways.

Cell phone service comes to some NYC subway stations | Wireless - CNET News

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    Are you asking because it was just in the news this week that New York is finally starting a trial involving 4 stations? I cannot believe NYC still doesnt have phone signal in their subways.

Cell phone service comes to some NYC subway stations | Wireless - CNET News
    Yep, and it got me wondering about HK and when it happened here.

Same with the Tube in London as well, no phone signal down there.

i wish we do not have cell phone service in the mtr and hope to never have it in the elevator.

bookblogger and dear giant like this.

The subway is one of the few places in NYC where you can get away from loudmouths on their mobiles. People talk, read books, listen to music. I've always thought the lack of phone signals was a good thing. When I lived there, I liked to try to listen for the mood of the train car: on Friday afternoons/evening and before holidays, people were usually chatty and lively; heavy silence on Monday mornings; general happiness after sports championships; combination of stress and holiday mood around Xmas.

Quote Originally Posted by dumbdonkey:
    i wish we do not have cell phone service in the mtr and hope to never have it in the elevator.
    Some buildings also have it in the elevator now.
    dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dumbdonkey:
    Just get one of these things. They are a lot of fun. Imagine listening to the locals getting cut off. Wei??!!! WEI??!! WEI??!!!

Last edited by bdw; 27-09-2011 at 12:37 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast