Village House in Clearwater Bay

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Village House in Clearwater Bay

Hi, I am considering buying a village house in Clearwater Bay. Does anyone have any tips to help me along.

Boundary laws are obviously an issue in villages. Anyone know a property lawyer who is familiar with these arrangements?

Is the air really cleaner there?

Firstly, be patient! Things don't tick along as quickly as you would possibly hope.
    Yes, I believe the air is cleaner- even if it isn't, you are close to the sea, trees and quiet.
    Regarding boundaries etc, most of the agents up there refer you to a solicitor who is familiar with village houses and the nuances involved. Saying that, we bought our house and it may look like the solicitor got it wrong and we are the proud owners of a slope!
    I'll give you the agent we went through but I wouldn't recomend the solicitors we went through, for various reasons even though they are very big and have offices in Pacific Place.

If it's the little things that annoy you then beware that radio reception is non-existent in places and NOW broadband TV may have trouble getting to you too (or was that PCCW's broadband service?) according to a friend of mine.

CWB is a great place to consider buying (but I'm a little biased)

Yes - the air is definitely cleaner out here (and that is fact, not bias) but village houses do have their idiosyncracies.

Check out an article that we published in the last issue of the Explore SK Magazine on village houses and click on the links on that webpage to become versed in some of the issues about their construction etc. that may help you assess properties with a keener eye.
    http://www.exploresaikung.com/commun...BygoneEra.html

YES YES YES - get a lawyer who is well versed in the laws of the N.T. and 'ding rights' - otherwise you are asking for trouble. I am aware of one couple who purchased property from a villager and built their dream house only to find that, just as the house was being finished, there was a 4 sale sign on it and it was being sold right under their noses by the (still) "legal" owner. Not sure how that story ended yet.

I have a personal recommendation for a N.T.-savvy lawyer but it wouldn't be prudent for me to put his particulars up here so - send me a personal email and I'll give it to you.

Cheers!
    Judy
    http://www.exploresaikung.com

Judy- for those of us who live up there and use your site as a local reference, the resource section needs updating!

Thanks for the tips.

Looking forward to this whole process... and the wife is already buying furniture in her head

i live in Mang Kung Uk village, some village house near me for the whole building have been sold for 4-5 Million, its such a great price. My only problem is that I heard that even if you buy the whole house, the land is only rented to you for 50 years, someting like that, after 50 years then you need to re-rent it. Have i been hearing BS or is there some rule like this. anyone heard of this as well.

I heard that because HK will be returned to PRC in 40 yrs so all land will have to be returned, so that includes all property on the land.

A lot of ppl have their opinions on how that's gonna work out with everybody "owning" their properties now but I think the leases do have an expiry date of 2047.

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    i live in Mang Kung Uk village, some village house near me for the whole building have been sold for 4-5 Million, its such a great price. My only problem is that I heard that even if you buy the whole house, the land is only rented to you for 50 years, someting like that, after 50 years then you need to re-rent it. Have i been hearing BS or is there some rule like this. anyone heard of this as well.

Its just the way Hong Kong has always been, Hong Kong Government owns all land in Hong Kong. You are "leasing" it off of them.

4-5 million for a new place or what? Sea View? I guess that price for Clear Water Bay is ok. Depending on age and how nice it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Lammarite:
    Firstly, be patient! Things don't tick along as quickly as you would possibly hope.
    Yes, I believe the air is cleaner- even if it isn't, you are close to the sea, trees and quiet.
    Regarding boundaries etc, most of the agents up there refer you to a solicitor who is familiar with village houses and the nuances involved. Saying that, we bought our house and it may look like the solicitor got it wrong and we are the proud owners of a slope!
    I'll give you the agent we went through but I wouldn't recomend the solicitors we went through, for various reasons even though they are very big and have offices in Pacific Place.
    Hey Lammarite, thank you for sharing. i'm interest about the not so good solicitor - we are going through the buying process at the moment, and our solicitor recommended by real estate agent is locate in Pacific Place too! Have to say that the solicitor is patient on all my questions raised, but still it's hard to get grip - we are adviced that we don't need to sign S&P agreement, and preliminary agreement protects us the same.... or even more.... Can you let me know your solicitor's name? and Can anyone advice us that if S&P agreement does give the purchaser more protection? Thanks a lot!
    Last edited by flute; 28-08-2007 at 08:18 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast