Like Tree13Likes

What is better to bring from the UK rather than buy in HK? And where to live of course?!

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Original Post Deleted
    I disagree with that. I've had people follow me home in London (literally) asking me out on dates...to the extent it got quite scary...and when I reached my front door I wasn't sure if I should head in or not....kids stealing mopeds/motorbikes in daylight in front of my eyes, a drug addict picking up my phone which had fallen out accidentally and asking for money and the cab ride to his 'drug den', a crazed man on a bus at night (not late, mind) saying lewd things to me to the extent I almost got off the bus in the middle of Walworth(!), aggressive chat up lines from people on the tube, etc. Then there are the drunken fights at night...people getting mugged at knife point (a colleague of mine) etc.

And that's excluding all the knife crime there is...the incident in Victoria Station at rush hour being a prime example. No one wants to interfere as you're one small person against a large crowd of crazed teenagers armed with knives.

That said, I didn't live in constant fear...I was just a lot more careful, whether I lived in an affluent area (although there is always an estate around the corner, which, in a way, is not a bad thing) or on the edge of an area notorious for knife crime and gangs.

The one thing about HK is that people keep their distance, and when peoople are drunk (and don't keep their distance) they are usually 'happy' drunks as opposed to violent drunks.

Of course there are always exceptions.
    Last edited by hongkongperson; 14-07-2011 at 05:29 PM.

For shoes, they definitely go to 8 in M&S and of course there is Vicki as mentioned. Also, there's a store in Stanley that I call the transvestite shoe store because their shoes go up to an amazing 48 or 49. Not that I'm inferring anything

Worth a try ... and worth a gander in any case, some of the ugliest biggest shoes you've ever seen! Also some really good flats, that's where I buy mine (40).

{deleted - in error}

Stockings/hosiery. Just bought a pair of Wolfords. Upwards of $200 HKG for a pair. Levante was around the same price in Wing On too. Twice what i would normally pay for Levante. Wish I could find Kayser Platinums.

Update: looks like mail order's an option. Still cheaper.
    http://www.zodee.com.au/customer_service/postage.asp

Last edited by Laksa Girl; 26-10-2011 at 11:12 PM.
    hello_there likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Laksa Girl:
    Stockings/hosiery. Just bought a pair of Wolfords. Upwards of $200 HKG for a pair. Levante was around the same price in Wing On too. Twice what i would normally pay for Levante. Wish I could find Kayser Platinums.

Update: looks like mail order's an option. Still cheaper.
    Customer Service - Delivery Options
    Wolfords are not cheap anywhere. BUT if you look after them properly - hand wash gently - they will last and last. They are excellent quality, their opaque black ones are so soft!
    Edit: but I find that the hosiery here (Japan also) was too short! I'm only 5'5" but it would seem that I have long legs for that height!

Something else would be nightwear. I've been trying to find something for ages - women's nightwear either seems to be the kind of thing a 5 year old or 85 year old would wear!
    Last edited by Satay Sue; 27-10-2011 at 07:12 AM.

What's nightwear? I didn't pay anything for mine.....

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    What's nightwear? I didn't pay anything for mine.....
    Ha ha, I was expecting one of the guys to come out with that one
    Unfortunately with a 6 year old around the house who likes an early morning cuddle, nightwear of some kind is a must!

Quote Originally Posted by Satay Sue:
    Ha ha, I was expecting one of the guys to come out with that one
    Unfortunately with a 6 year old around the house who likes an early morning cuddle, nightwear of some kind is a must!
    That must be political correctness these days. My folks never wore nightwear - so the first male appendage I ever saw was my Dad's as he wandered around in the morning - of course it didn't look quite the same as the first aroused boyfriend and took a while to figure out the differences!

Nothing to do with PC, I don't remember seeing my father naked, it's just what we're comfortable with.

I go away for a few days and come back to pure filth.

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast