Like Tree22Likes

Aussie Looking to emigrate to HK ASAP

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    Work visas CANNOT be obtained first. they MUST be sponsored by the company offering the job.

it is illegal to look for work while here on holiday. others have done it in the past, but it is illegal.

also, pet peeve: you IMMIGRATE TO a place and EMIGRATE FROM a place.
    [Pedant]Not strictly true - immigration to a place generally entails emigration from another place. In the OP's case, s/he would
    • immigrate to Hong Kong from Australia

or
    • emigrate from Australia to Hong Kong.

If the new place of residence is clear from the context (say, when standing in line at Immigration Tower in Wanchai), it is acceptable to drop that part of the clause and just state where one is immigrating from.
    [/Pedant]
    TheBrit likes this.

Hmmm. I hate to say this, but I'm not sure a relatively inexperienced person in IT is likely to get a working visa here in the IT sector. Basically, with your CV I'd say your best bet is a teaching job.

If you're actually interested in going into teaching, we can continue that discussion. I'm not sure if I should recommend it though, since it's a job I'm trying to escape from!

Last edited by justjoe86; 27-10-2011 at 03:21 PM.
    vmlinuz likes this.

Let's join in the pedantry. Since 'emigrate' can be used intransitively - E.g. ("I want to emigrate.") - I think it is fine to add the prepositional phrase 'to Hong Kong'.

When I was a kid I liked the film 'Escape to Witch mountain.' I'm pretty sure 'escape' is a similar case to 'emigrate', since you escape *from* somewhere too!

Original Post Deleted
    I do it just for you, because I know you appreciate it so much. I'm glad its getting a good reception. Anything for your happiness Gritty...

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    I do it just for you, because I know you appreciate it so much. I'm glad its getting a good reception. Anything for your happiness Gritty...
    Oh get a room you two!

question: what is the difference between immigrate and emigrate?

Answer: What's the difference between immigration and emigration? - Yahoo! Answers

currently, the title of this thread is incorrect. he is not emigrating TO hong kong. he wants to IMMIGRATE to hong kong. he wants to emigrate FROM australia.

I'm afraid at this stage I am going to have to use a word I loathe....

whatever...!

Answer: What's the difference between immigration and emigration? - Yahoo! Answers

currently, the title of this thread is incorrect. he is not emigrating TO hong kong. he wants to IMMIGRATE to hong kong. he wants to emigrate FROM australia.
    I want to emigrate (from Australia) (to HK).

The bits in the brackets are optional.
    Last edited by justjoe86; 27-10-2011 at 04:30 PM.

Nope. He is wants to emigrate from Australia to Hong Kong. The title of the thread is correct, if no very elegantly phrased.

From a somewhat more authoritative source than Yahoo! Answers: emigrate and immigrate.
    Last edited by beachball; 27-10-2011 at 04:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by justjoe86:
    I want to emigrate (from Australia) (to HK).

The bits in the brackets are optional.
    +1. Exactly.

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast