Contractor / Decorator required !

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Contractor / Decorator required !

I am currently in the process of trying to renovate my apartment and would like to hear from anyone who can recommend a good contractor or decorator for the job. Ability to speak english is obviously an important requirement.

I would prefer not to deal with an expat as I've had a bad experience in the past and they tend to charge a premium.

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

Try and find a contractor and eliminate the "Interior Designer or Decorator".

You can check with the labor department as they have a list of people looking for work. I have done this to decorate a few of my apartments and had no trouble at all. Hiring a Interior designer will put the price up 30-50%. The most recent work on my apartment in TST cost me close to 1 mill including the best fittings, jacuzzi etc. The cheapest Interior designers were quoting me 1.5mill for the same job with local cheap China fittings.

Also pick up a few copies of recent PACE mag. There's loads of ideas and info in there.

Good Luck!

Thank you for your replies.

Wuga we are pretty happy with the design we have come up with so now it's a matter of simply getting someone to follow through and execute those designs. Getting an interior designer would I'm afraid be like taking a stpe backwards at this stage.

Tstexpat what is this magazine PACE you mention and where do I get my hands on it ? Also when you suggest going to the labour department what about the language barrier with any of workers you get for the job ?

Stop by any newsstand or 7-11 and ask for Pace.

I will PM you the details for the guy I used. He is local..speaks OK English and does a fantastic job. I recommend that you stay away from the expat designers/contractors as these guys are just middlemen.

Last edited by tstexpat; 05-05-2005 at 12:44 PM.

Unitek H.K Household and Office renovations

Free Quotes

mob = 94912605

Email [email protected]

Both British Contractors Been doing it for years

Insured

Give them a call

H

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Tstexpat I would be interested in getting the name of that contractor off you if you can find the time to PM the contact details I would appreciate it. I'm sorry to say that your advise on expat contractors rings true for me as I've had a terrible experience with one a few years back.

I will look for it and PM you in a day. I designed my place in TST based on my requirements. I wanted a clear Glass bathroom, Jacuzzi and a lot of space. This is a 3,000 Sq ft place with a few bedrooms but I just wanted one huge bedroom. I had over 50 designers and contractors come in but only this guy knew exactly what I wanted. He took 3 months to do the job which involved tearing the old place apart and starting from scratch. I have moved back for over 2 months now and the work is excellent. He offered me a 12 month guarantee but I doub't I would need to call on him to fix anything.

Tstexpat, that sounds great especially the 12 month guarantee. Was the price he charged reasonable ?

He was reasonable and the quality of work was very good.
    The flat is fixed this time is in a 30+ year old building which needs a lot more work. I will PM you as soon as I get back.

Reliable contractor

tst expat - please advise which contractor you used _ I ma looking to do a very similar renovation.
    Many thanks!!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast