Like Tree163Likes

Do you regret moving to Hong Kong?

Closed Thread
Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 16 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    The OP was already dead set against moving over and wanted to know the negatives of HK to back up her decision of not wanting to go.

She's already made her mind up by the sounds of things.
    Surely that doesn't mean that the discussion has to stop if people still have something to say? Maybe it does?

Re- Sharing food: I have to admit i way prefer sharing food than having my own plate - unless I eat western food - (and from where I am from this is rather unusual since we pride ourselves on having some of the very best "new cuisine" - which you do not share, mon dieu!)

Other than a steak, we share all our food too. Never get the "Oh I wish I'd ordered that instead" feeling!

Mat likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    Really... intriguing. OK so give us your list of names1 (strongly pro HK) and names2 (married to a local) and let's see how they match up. Name names!

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    Re- Sharing food: I have to admit i way prefer sharing food than having my own plate - unless I eat western food - (and from where I am from this is rather unusual since we pride ourselves on having some of the very best "new cuisine" - which you do not share, mon dieu!)
    we all share our food too, although not so much when in canada... i like that you can get a taste of everything. hubby and i even share our burger king selections (get the two different burgers cut in half)...

Quote Originally Posted by Satay Sue:
    And probably the ease in getting there. The O2 in London wasn't there when we left the UK and this usually meant a trek from South East London to Wembley Stadium/Arena (horrible journey) or Hammersmith.
    I guess I'm going massively off topic here comparing the locations of music venues in London Vs Hong Kong…..but Asia World Expo, where the majority of western and Canto music seems to be held, is a massive pain in the *** to get to (by HK standards). The music system is also the worst I have ever heard, bands don’t come to HK and play in Singapore instead because of this.

There are literally 1000s of music venues in London the sae in NY. Only the REALLY big acts would play at either the 02 or Wembley, which admittedly are also a massive pain in the a** to get to. nUT You'd find a plethora of pretty large venue across the city..Brixton, Hammersmith, Alexadra Palais, shepherds Bush to name just a few.
    dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by justjoe86:
    Really... intriguing. OK so give us your list of names1 (strongly pro HK) and names2 (married to a local) and let's see how they match up. Name names!
    I am interested to see since I am pretty sure he probably had me in mind (while I have said numerous time I was not a fan of HK - I just wish to offer more balanced views that the radical ones - either ways - some post on here) and I am married to a "local" who isn't a "pure" once since she is from Macau...

That being said, he has a point, since I think having a local partner (and speaking cantonese) makes you appreicate HK more because that local partner (and your language ability) can open up things to you, that a purely foreign couple, often (not always) can't access.

It's exciting because when you go outside at 1am there is always a crowd and a buzz in HK. Whereas in other western cities it's quiet. In HK people also walk more, there is more interaction, hence the buzz. People here do not stay home as much since home is a little cubicle so again more interaction. In most western cities the car dominates as spaces are so spread out and backyard bbqs are very popular. In HK I can get anything customised (clothes, furniture, etc.) forget about that in the west. I can also get any kinds of electronics here first - outside of NY and Tokyo, HK is ahead. What I wished HK had more of though - stadium sports events (just the one Rugby event - and I really don't like rugby) and popular musicals and artists (though Macau is getting these). I also find HKers more cosmopolitan than most American cities but not as much as European cities- majority of Americans do not even own a passport and have not travelled outside of the US, whereas many HKers travel internationally, albeit in tour groups.

Mat and Molie like this.

Ha..one thing I do love about HK!!

I have to admit I much prefer the opportunity to try loads of dishes and the commncal atmosphere at dinner. I think its fantastic...

Im not entirely negative...

Last edited by gmi; 17-11-2011 at 04:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gmi:
    I guess I'm going massively off topic here comparing the locations of music venues in London Vs Hong Kong…..but Asia World Expo, where the majority of western and Canto music seems to be held, is a massive pain in the *** to get to (by HK standards). The music system is also the worst I have ever heard, bands don’t come to HK and play in Singapore instead because of this.

There are literally 1000s of music venues in London the sae in NY. Only the REALLY big acts would play at either the 02 or Wembley, which admittedly are also a massive pain in the a** to get to. nUT You'd find a plethora of pretty large venue across the city..Brixton, Hammersmith, Alexadra Palais, shepherds Bush to name just a few.
    The few in London you have named are still a complete pain in the rear end from where I lived in London and involve multiple train/bus changes. No Underground station.

Closed Thread
Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 16 ... LastLast