Like Tree163Likes

Do you regret moving to Hong Kong?

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 17 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Satay Sue:
    Other than a steak, we share all our food too. Never get the "Oh I wish I'd ordered that instead" feeling!
    Last time I went out to dinner with my guy friends (10 of us), we had steak and shared. Too many different cuts to choose from and nice to see what different cuts taste like. None of us are locals.
    Satay Sue likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Satay Sue:
    The few in London you have named are still a complete pain in the rear end from where I lived in London and involve multiple train/bus changes. No Underground station.

My real point is 1 or 2....possibly a few more decent capacity venues in Hong Kong versus 100s of venues in London or New York (the cities I'm most familiar with).

Buy a copy of Time Out London/NY and compare it to the copy for HK covering the same week. I think you will notice a much more vibrant arts scene with many more venues and acts in the former two.
    Last edited by gmi; 17-11-2011 at 05:11 PM.

just as there's a chance to feel regret moving to Hong Kong, there's a chance to feel regret moving out of Hong Kong. For me, I know that I will not growing old in Hong Kong, sooner or later I will move out. Timing is always an issue, but to be able to go away from Hong Kong, look back and tell myself "dang, I did pretty well" is my dream.

Satay Sue, gmi and threelittlepigs like this.

Quote Originally Posted by gmi:
    My real point is 1 or 2....possibly a few more decent capacity venues in Hong Kong versus 100s of venues in London or New York (the cities I'm most familiar with).

Buy a copy of time out London/NY and compare it to the copy for HK covering the same week. I think you will notice a much more vibrant arts scene with many more venues and acts in the former two.
    Yes, you're right!

Quote Originally Posted by gmi:
    Buy a copy of Time Out London/NY and compare it to the copy for HK covering the same week. I think you will notice a much more vibrant arts scene with many more venues and acts in the former two.
    But all those acts are in English! Where are the Chinese comedy clubs, concerts and operas? Pick up an Apple Daily and you'll notice a much more vibrant Chinese arts scene than in any Apple Daily UK (I know, there is no such thing )
    carang likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    I am interested to see since I am pretty sure he probably had me in mind (while I have said numerous time I was not a fan of HK - I just wish to offer more balanced views that the radical ones - either ways - some post on here) and I am married to a "local" who isn't a "pure" once since she is from Macau...

That being said, he has a point, since I think having a local partner (and speaking cantonese) makes you appreicate HK more because that local partner (and your language ability) can open up things to you, that a purely foreign couple, often (not always) can't access.

I wonder if he had me in mind too. To say I'm pro or anti anything would be ridiculous because I change my opinions on everything several times a day. I also have no problem disagreeing with someone I like or agreeing with someone I don't like (Not that I really dislike anyone here!)

Let's also remember than being married to a local doesn't equate to loving Hong Kong (Or to being good at cantonese *blush*)... In fact, most of my negative opinions of HK/ China came straight from the mouths of locals... speaking English!
    Last edited by justjoe86; 17-11-2011 at 05:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by threelittlepigs:
    But all those acts are in English! Where are the Chinese comedy clubs, concerts and operas? Pick up an Apple Daily and you'll notice a much more vibrant Chinese arts scene than in any Apple Daily UK (I know, there is no such thing )
    You are definately right. And the acts and venues in a Time Out magazine would be the same, nearly all western although not entirely.

I still think if you compared the arts scene as a whole in the cities mentioned, HK would have significantly less in terms of venues and acts.

Could be wrong.
    Last edited by gmi; 17-11-2011 at 05:28 PM.

i think that is part of the problem... because so much is in chinese and advertised in chinese, most expats don't even know it exists.

just a note, in my years here, i've seen:

les mis
    phantom
    miss saigon
    joseph and the amazing technicolour dreamcoat
    stomp (they made a return appearance)
    cirque du soleil (not the one in macau, although i've seen that too)
    michael flattley (the tiger one, can't recall the name)
    i missed:
    cats

there is also the birdcage cirque playing....

my kids have seen:
    stickman (will be seeing it again next year)
    gruffalo X2
    gruffalo's child
    ben 10
    the snowman (local production with nury vittachi reading)

there IS stuff going on, you just need to know about it....

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    i think that is part of the problem... because so much is in chinese and advertised in chinese, most expats don't even know it exists.

just a note, in my years here, i've seen:

les mis
    phantom
    miss saigon
    joseph and the amazing technicolour dreamcoat
    stomp (they made a return appearance)
    cirque du soleil (not the one in macau, although i've seen that too)
    michael flattley (the tiger one, can't recall the name)
    i missed:
    cats

there is also the birdcage cirque playing....

my kids have seen:
    stickman (will be seeing it again next year)
    gruffalo X2
    gruffalo's child
    ben 10
    the snowman (local production with nury vittachi reading)

there IS stuff going on, you just need to know about it....
    We've seen many of the same things.

There is stuff going on for sure, there is an arts scene. I'd just argue its less vibrant than in other major cities with less choice.

Quote Originally Posted by hong kong pearl:
    I
    Granted having then moved abroad and come back, I do notice the air pollution is pretty bad and my friends with kids have to make lots of effort to get their kids into good schools, but I thought the quality of education in hk was pretty high compared to when I moved to Switzerland for high school. .
    Having to move to Switzerland for high school surely does not send a positive message about the state of affairs in Hong Kong. A developed world city should be able to provide adequate education and a balanced lifestyle for it's young people.

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 17 ... LastLast