Like Tree111Likes

Hong Kong the good

Closed Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by nat4zk:
    I can't say all Hong Kong people is kind and helpful, there must be someone evil. But most of them are welcoming and friendly. We are efficient, effective and energetic. Characteristics of Hong Kongers. You can prove these by observing the increasing number of foreign immagrants to Hong Kong. HK welcomes all kinds of people and it is the safest place in the world.
    I refer you to the anger at the airport thread.
    dear giant and drumbrake like this.

Quote Originally Posted by nat4zk:
    HK welcomes all kinds of people and it is the safest place in the world.
    I refer you to the anger at the airport thread and the DH to get PR threads.
    dear giant likes this.

On my first trip on a tram, there was a wallet left behind. We were boarding at a terminus stop. I sat down first and saw it. An older man saw it next. I watched to see what would happen. It was like a scene out of 'Invasion of the Body Snatchers'. He pointed at it making high sounds letting people around him know it was a wallet. He said the he was going to go report it. He didn't want to touch it. An older women around him said in Chinese, "Are you stupid? Pick it up and hand it in." It was heavy laden with money. He took it downstairs and gave it to the conductor. The two conductors then went thru the wallet in the booth.

We all know that they were looking for ID and counting the amount of money as a distinguishing feature. The people observing from the tram did not. Although one of the conductors was on the phone obviously reporting it in, the people on the tram staring shouting at them, "Are you reporting it? Make sure you report it!" Further, the conductors went red humiliated to even be questioned! One yelled back, "Yes, we're doing it now. Do you want to check yourself?"

Surprised on many counts.

The older man on the tram chatted to me afterwards saying that this is the 2nd time he has found a wallet and he has always reported it. He didn't even want to touch it because he is so honest.

Last edited by Laksa Girl; 20-11-2011 at 01:45 AM.
    Mat and MovingIn07 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Laksa Girl:
    On my first trip on a tram, there was a wallet left behind. We were boarding at a terminus stop. I sat down first and saw it. An older man saw it next. I watched to see what would happen. It was like a scene out of 'Invasion of the Body Snatchers'. He pointed at it making high sounds letting people around him know it was a wallet. He said the he was going to go report it. He didn't want to touch it. An older women around him said in Chinese, "Are you stupid? Pick it up and hand it in." It was heavy laden with money. He took it downstairs and gave it to the conductor. The two conductors then went thru the wallet in the booth.

We all know that they were looking for ID and counting the amount of money as a distinguishing feature. The people observing from the tram did not. Although one of the conductors was on the phone obviously reporting it in, the people on the tram staring shouting at them, "Are you reporting it? Make sure you report it!" Further, the conductors went red humiliated to even be questioned! One yelled back, "Yes, we're doing it now. Do you want to check yourself?"

Surprised on many counts.

The older man on the tram chatted to me afterwards saying that this is the 2nd time he has found a wallet and he has always reported it. He didn't even want to touch it because he is so honest.
    You seem to look at the situation differently through what you noticed.

It's almost not about Hong Kong as he was reacting to you a bit too much. More about your non-verbal interaction with him than it is about what he would have done without you being the first to see the wallet and subsequent eye gestures.
    Last edited by Creative83; 20-11-2011 at 02:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by drumbrake:
    I thought Monaco was the safest?

For the ever increasing number of pedants on these boards, "one of the safest place".

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    For the ever increasing number of pedants on these boards, "one of the safest places". (for the pedant)
    But, I was talking about the homicide rate.

Quote Originally Posted by drumbrake:
    But, I was talking about the homicide rate.

HK is not in your list

In any case I am not debating the fact that Monaco may be the safest place, just saying HK is probably one of the safest (amongst other safe cities like Monaco, Singapore...)
    Last edited by Mat; 20-11-2011 at 10:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Creative83:
    You seem to look at the situation differently through what you noticed.

It's almost not about Hong Kong as he was reacting to you a bit too much. More about your non-verbal interaction with him than it is about what he would have done without you being the first to see the wallet and subsequent eye gestures.
    We didn't make eye contact. I was first on board and sitting towards the back. My eyes drifted to it on the ground as I saw people come on board and sit down.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    HK is not in your list

In any case I am not debating the fact that Monaco may be the safest place, just saying HK is probably one of the safest (amongst other safe cities like Monaco, Singapore...)
    To be a pedant, it's not my list. It does not belong to anyone. And, if you had looked a little carefully at the list, you would see that the homicide rate for Monaco has been zero for the past couple of years, so, if any city can make the claim to being the safest, then perhaps it is that city, rather than Hong Kong, as nat4zk argued.
    Last edited by drumbrake; 20-11-2011 at 07:37 PM.
    dear giant likes this.

The problem with that argument is sample size. As Concorde demonstrated by going from "the safest" to "one of the most dangerous" aircraft through a single crash.

Mat likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast