Like Tree163Likes

Do you regret moving to Hong Kong?

Closed Thread
Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

@ bryant * like *

Perhaps my only regret would be not moving to Hong Kong sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by bryant.english:
    The best thing about hk is you get all the latest gadgets sooner...
    ...but you get all the latest movies much much later :-(

Regret is the least of my thoughts moving to HK. The pollution and noise are, but in HK, both my husband and I have seen opportunities and an innovative and opportunistic (I mean that in a positive way) mindset that we have not found in our home countries. No country or city will be 100percent utopian, but it's what suits your needs/wants that counts.

To OP: Why leaving Boston to live in HK? I mean, unless you can afford at least middle to upper-middle class lifestyle in HK, there is nothing to compare between Boston and HK in terms of quality of living. Ya you can say Boston has got its bitter New England cold winter but between choking filfy air pollution to snowy winter, which one would you prefer? Boston esp. the cambridge area, has got great arts and culture, some of best schools in states and possibly the world, so would you want your kid to grow up in a place like HK where all these rich 8 year old kids with their designer-labels and i-phones and know nothing about basic civic education?

Last edited by ipodaddict; 20-11-2011 at 10:13 PM.
    dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    ...but you get all the latest movies much much later :-(
    Eh? What about the Pira......oh no, no, no, no, no, no....

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:

As I said, HK is what you make of it, but claiming if you bring your kids to HK he will end up like a robot and not be able to pursue any passion is very excessive imho.
    Possibly excessive, but not an uncommon effect on children. And Mat, yes Dioceasn(sorry for the spelling), St Stephan, ya they are great schools but you heard about their admission rates? Im sure you know a bit since your significant other is a teacher. You have any idea what paramount pressure that regular kids have on their studies and grades in Hong Kong?
    A ten-year old killed himself last week jumping off roof two weeks ago..he went to a band-1 school(the one you call it a good school), coz he just couldn't take the system anymore. I also reckon you don't have full knowledge of Cantonese? You probably wouldn't understand the psychological world of locals(and the kids, in this case).
    I am a kindy teacher at a local school, and it is just a joke- a huge joke to see what five-year olds have to go through to get into primary school. Parents panicking, teachers stressing out, school management blaming on teachers, tutoring-centres cashing in on training courses for primary schools interviews..I mean- interview training courses for primary school "admission"?! Give me a break!
    Yes if your kid of six year-old displayed high acumen in mathmatics and had set his hopes on being next big shot banker, yes, HK is the place. But if he occasionally dreamed about being an astronaut or an anthropologist, no, Hong Kong's research and development is at least few decades behind(or more than) major Western countries, at least in field of arts and humanities, and likely in most fields..
    Last edited by ipodaddict; 20-11-2011 at 10:43 PM.
    dear giant and drumbrake like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ipodaddict:
    Possibly excessive, but not an uncommon effect on children. And Mat, yes Dioceasn(sorry for the spelling), St Stephan, ya they are great schools but you heard about their admission rates? Im sure you know a bit since your significant other is a teacher. You have any idea what paramount pressure that regular kids have on their studies and grades in Hong Kong?
    A ten-year old killed himself last week jumping off roof two weeks ago..he went to a band-1 school(the one you call it a good school), coz he just couldn't take the system anymore. I also reckon you don't have full knowledge of Cantonese? You probably wouldn't understand the psychological world of locals(and the kids, in this case).
    I am a kindy teacher at a local school, and it is just a joke- a huge joke to see what five-year olds have to go through to get into primary school. Parents panicking, teachers stressing out, school management blaming on teachers, tutoring-centres cashing in on training courses for primary schools interviews..I mean- interview training courses for primary school "admission"?! Give me a break!
    Yes if your kid of six year-old displayed high acumen in mathmatics and had set his hopes on being next big shot banker, yes, HK is the place. But if he occasionally dreamed about being an astronaut or an anthropologist, no, Hong Kong's research and development is at least few decades behind(or more than) major Western countries, at least in field of arts and humanities, and likely in most fields..
    Thanks for the patronizing post and yes i very much understand the world of the locals as u put it.

I have never denied in my post that kids face pressure nor have I said it was easy to get into those schools.

My wife as taught at International and Band one Schools. She now teaches at the University, so yes I am familiar w the system and yes it is competitive,

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    yes i very much understand the world of the locals as u put it.
    Really? Please, share your secrets.

Quote Originally Posted by justjoe86:
    Really? Please, share your secrets.
    For one I have a decent level in cantonese (since the poster was asking) and we have 4 nieces and nephew aged 2 to 7 in different types of Schools here that my wife helps very closely w their studies and school applications.

Again I have not claimed anywhere that there was no pressure nor that it was easy to get into the schools.

Pressure is very much there and u better be good and well connected to get in.

I just disagree with the end results = robots.
    maxmom0901 likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast