Like Tree14Likes

Got an offer : Coming with wife and 2 year old baby - Need Suggestions?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Got to agree also, that is a pitiful amount for a family.

You won't enjoy your life here on that.

I spend more on beer in a month! (exaggerated for effect)

Quote Originally Posted by rani:
    There was a post last year about an Indian family who were having trouble making ends meet. All their friends were earning more and they started spending more, which lead to fights etc.

17K is too low. You will spending at least 10-12K on housing. 3K on an international kindergarten.
    Can u please tell me where is the 3k international kindergarten? So far every school I asked is about 7k a month + school bus 1.5k. Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by maxmom0901:
    Can u please tell me where is the 3k international kindergarten? So far every school I asked is about 7k a month + school bus 1.5k. Thanks in advance.
    Here's an inexpensive Kindergarten

http://www.sunisland.com.hk/
    shri likes this.

there are some kindergartens, with a local curriculum, that are enrolled in the Pre-PRimary Education Scheme. IF you have a valid HKID (and appropriate visa), you can apply for a voucher to be used at certain kindergartens.

the kindergarten that we send our daughter to (our son has finished and is in P1 now) is enrolled in this scheme. it is a church-run kindergarten and as such the fees are MUCH lower. we pay $635/month (for a full-day including lunch)

bamboo budge and shri like this.

Certainly no-no.....
    You really would want to give your family a reasonably good life, right??
    minimum rent for a family 10k....if you rent in far off places, then add the transportation...comes out to roughly same figure.....also travel time will increase...will you be able to give time to your family??
    Also, it will be such tight budget that it will leave you frustrated in the end.

to give you little idea:

1) Rent: 8k
    2) transport for two (assuming you live far) 2000
    3) Utilities: 1000
    4) school for child: 3k (someone correct me if I am wrong, i just took the figure from what I have heard)
    5) Entertainment: 1000 (assuming you just go out once or twice a month)

Its already coming to 15k...I have not still not taken daily expense of food, grocery, other small expenses....

No saving at all....

Very bad idea to move here on that salary.

I would decline the offer. 17K is way too low. Shame on your company for thinking you and your wife and child could live on that salary. I could see coming here if your wife was also offered a job and you both had a combined salary of at least 30K but your offer is too low. I would hold out for a better offer. If your housing was paid for by the company then you can make a possible case for coming over. You have 5 years experience and that should warrant more then 17K.

Giot to agree, 17K is too low for a family of 3 to realocate to HK. Some local families live on this but they have:
    - public housing ~ 2K/ months (you can't have access to this)
    - didn't move to HK for this, they were born here and know all the tricks.

On 17K I am not even sure you might be able to save enough money for a trip back to india with your family once a year or every two years.

How much do you make in India?

I think situation is the HK employer first comes up with a scum bag offer that he knows is inacceptable.
    Next. the employer might be willing to add a few thousand to show just how generous a company they are. But, hey, I don't know much about India, but compared to China I have pereceived India as easy.
    So I would say go and ask for more, they are expecting it.

If you live like a local, yes you can survive. You have to move to more remote parts of NT, 300sqf little flats.

If you want to live like an expat or to a level you are currently accustomed to, its going to be difficult cos rental prices and cost of education are very high. To give you an idea of living expenses I spend your monthly salary on rent alone.

Happy,

The company is low balling you. tell em you discussed the offer with friends and business associates in HK. They weren't impressed!

Ask them to up the offer to 45K x 13 months

or/and keep looking for a better job.