Like Tree46Likes

Where to live for HK$20,000-25,000

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Original Post Deleted
    Thanks -- good news. What's the cheapest way to remit money to the UK? Regular bank transfers, or is there anything better than that? And also in the other direction when you are coming out to HK?

Fragrantharbour - are you renting the property out though? The income you receive on the rent is taxable.

Quote Originally Posted by luckycat:
    Fragrantharbour - are you renting the property out though? The income you receive on the rent is taxable.
    I thought that might be the case. I'm not going to be renting it out to begin with for various reasons but might in the future. But if the rental income is taxable, presumably the mortgage interest is tax deductible?

I looked in several of the areas people recommended and you can find a 3 bedroom for that $ range. But it depends on your standards... Hong Kong bedroom sizes are the smallest I've ever seen.

For example, in the Merton, you'll barely be able to fit just a double/queen size bed in the bedroom. For the places I was shown, the "other" bedrooms are really just the size of a small walk-in closet and will only fit single beds. I think you'll find most places with 3 bedrooms in that price range will have very small bedrooms if you stick to the centralish, hong kong island side.

We did finally find an apt with a master bedroom that fit a queen bed, wardrobe, and even 2 dressers in Sheung Wan area, but it took a long time and I must have viewed well over 50 places during the month+ we looked. I focused on Mid-levels, Sheung Wan, Sai Ying Pun, and a little on Kennedy Town, Wan Chai, and Causeway Bay when I looked.

We lived in Sheung Wan for about a year and then decided to move to Discovery Bay. It's much easier to find a place that fits American standards in terms of apt and room size for your budget here, but it is a bit of a hassle traveling in to the city. Now, I evaluate activities and events to decide if they are worth going into Central for.

However, I'm much happier here than I expected. I love seeing the trees and the sea everyday and smelling "nature" every time I step out of the house. If you have a small child and want to take them out in a stroller, it will be very difficult unless you live in a gated community type place in Hong Kong island.

Good luck!

PS. We also looked at Park Island vs Discovery Bay. DB is a much prettier place since it's more mountainous, better Western restaurant selection, foreign grocery store options and I like the way it's laid out. I also like the little trips you can do on the local ferry to Peng Chau and Mui O, etc. However, Park Island has an A/C waiting room for their ferry in central, little bit cheaper apts, much newer buildings, and taxi access. DB also has an international feel (ie tons more expats) than PI so depends on what you want.

Fragrantharbour likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fragrantharbour:
    Yes. The conclusion I'm coming to as I search the various property websites and forums is that what I really need is a (substantial) housing allowance...

I work in consulting (we essentially compete with the corporate finance/consulting teams of the Big Four accounting firms) at a reasonably senior level (still a few years away from partner though). How common is it for people in this industry/at this level to get housing allowances? My reading on the web indicates these have generally become much less common in recent years -- although it seems investment bankers and corporate lawyers still get generous allowances. Do multinationals offer these also? Any consulting firms?
    When we moved here (with large US consulting firm, competing in a similar kind of arena just in Energy not finance) we were given small housing allowances. Now as a local consultancy, (but otherwise the same firm) we just allow our staff to split their salary into housing allowance for tax purposes.

So it all depends on market conditions really. You know how much money you bring into the firm - can it cover additional costs?

Hi Fragrantharbour,

I followed many pages in this thread and got a lot of useful info in th nresponses to your original question. My wife and I are also considering a move to HK, from Australia. Did you make the move? Sorry if I missed it in the thread somewhere! If so, would love to know what you decided amd why if thats ok!

Jmack

We are a couple in our early 30s with a 6 month old baby -- moving to Hong Kong from London in the next couple of months.

Our accommodation budget is currently HK$20-25K, and I would appreciate some advice on what we might get for this, and what areas to consider. Our criteria are:

- I will work in Central (in a building called The Center) and would prefer not to have a commute longer than 30 minutes
    - I would prefer an area where English is reasonably understood and there are some western style supermarkets and access to private doctors/GPs
    - we would ideally like 3 bedrooms, or at a minimum, 2 bedrooms with some kind of additional maid's room. If we could have a 2nd bathroom that would be a (valued) advantage
    - if we could have a gym in the building that would be an advantage, but less interested in other clubhouse type facilities
    - it is important for us that the apartment is in good condition and kitchen/bathrooms nicely fitted out

Areas I have read about that sound interesting are Happy Valley, Pokfulam, Kowloon Station, Olympic Station. The Mid-levels and Repulse Bay sound like they will be too expensive. Discovery Bay sounds like good value for money, but a bit too remote for our liking.

Any thoughts on (1) whether it is possible to get all of the above in my price range and (2) what areas to consider?

Thanks very much for any advice you can give!

We are a couple in our early 30s with a 6 month old baby -- moving to Hong Kong from London in the next couple of months.

Our accommodation budget is currently HK$20-25K, and I would appreciate some advice on what we might get for this, and what areas to consider. Our criteria are:

- I will work in Central (in a building called The Center) and would prefer not to have a commute longer than 30 minutes
    - I would prefer an area where English is reasonably understood and there are some western style supermarkets and access to private doctors/GPs
    - we would ideally like 3 bedrooms, or at a minimum, 2 bedrooms with some kind of additional maid's room. If we could have a 2nd bathroom that would be a (valued) advantage
    - if we could have a gym in the building that would be an advantage, but less interested in other clubhouse type facilities
    - it is important for us that the apartment is in good condition and kitchen/bathrooms nicely fitted out

Areas I have read about that sound interesting are Happy Valley, Pokfulam, Kowloon Station, Olympic Station. The Mid-levels and Repulse Bay sound like they will be too expensive. Discovery Bay sounds like good value for money, but a bit too remote for our liking.

Any thoughts on (1) whether it is possible to get all of the above in my price range and (2) what areas to consider?

Thanks very much for any advice you can give!
    I wouldn't recommend Olympic, they have a huge garbage dump there that smells terrible. If you're not opposed to a commute, try Tung Chung. From first stop to last the train ride is 29 minutes. I have a 1,200 square foot 3 bedroom, two bathroom apartment. The master bedroom is very large and will fit a super king bed with plenty of room to spare and the bathroom is a decent size. The second bedroom fits a Queen sized bed comfortably and has it's own bathroom. The third bedroom is a bit smaller but will fit a full sized bed and enough room for a clothes cabinet. You can get one of these apartments from about $17,000-$20,000. The kitchen is a decent size with plenty of cabinet space and washer/dryer. The living room is open and connected to the dining room and is large with a large storage closet as well.
    Last edited by Brooklynexpat; 27-11-2011 at 09:13 AM.

Brooklynexpat

Where is this garbage dump in Olympic you're talking about ? Plenty of people I know that live in the area and they've never mentioned it.

Tung Chung, Is a craphole. One decent restaurant.
    Packed full of mainland tourists, No soul or character to that place.

MovingIn07 likes this.

Maybe he's confusing it with LOHAS Park....tho how is beyond me...

Sent from my GT-I9000 using GeoClicks Mobile

olympic does have some kind of land fill across on stone cutter island, and there is the occassional stench. depends on which way your apartment is facing. it is worse on hot nights but not really so bad that you would forgo living there.

agree on tung chung though. can't imagine living there and everyone I know who does live there is looking to move soon. never mind the commute, the area and facilities are just depressing. but at least you can watch the disney fireworks eh?

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast