Like Tree84Likes

Disappointed by HK

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast

Sounds like you've made a very tough decision so well done for biting the bullet. I moved out here from London a few months ago (after almost 20 years in London) and like some people have already said, I don't find the pollution in HK any worse than London. In fact, compared to where I lived in London (Shoreditch), I find HK less polluted, especially for roadside pollution. Personally, I would never consider raising children in London (although clearly there are millions of people who disagree with me lol) because of not just the pollution but a whole variety of socio-economic reasons. As a relative newbie to HK who doesn't have strong feelings about the place either way, it surprises even me that I would just choose HK over London for children.

Last edited by bibbju; 04-12-2011 at 09:47 AM.

London vs HK?
    HK 06 vs HK11?

and that is your reason not to move?

Sorry to question it, but I assume there should be other reasons - not only pollution.

In any case, as long as you are comfortable with your decision that is all that matter.

today maybe not the best day to be defending pollution in hk. can barely see the top of the peak from my house in kowloon. and one of my kids is, again, down with a sore throat. the comparison with London is odd - somewhere like Singapore as a comparison would make more sense - but I also understand it. On a day like today, the pollution is visible and forboding. Not something you would get very often in London (although I would have a list of alternative reasons why I would advise getting out of London, but obviously the OP would put pollution first)

Quote Originally Posted by shenwen:
    today maybe not the best day to be defending pollution in hk. can barely see the top of the peak from my house in kowloon. and one of my kids is, again, down with a sore throat {...}. On a day like today, the pollution is visible and forboding. Not something you would get very often in London
    Interestingly, as I read this the visibility at the Greenwich Lightship (and at Shoeburyness (the nearest land station to London) is 11 nautical miles (which would be about 18km); the visibility at the Hong Kong Observatory is 27km.
    Last edited by PDLM; 04-12-2011 at 11:28 AM.
    HowardCoombs and Cwbguy like this.

27 km, in which direction ?

you should consider that sometimes info given is not in line with reality.
    The same applies to what I have read in the newspaper about smoking trends in HK.

OIC - if the data doesn't agree with your opinion then it must the data that's wrong. Hmmm.

Dreadnought likes this.

Out near us its not that bad a day. Have had worse have had better.

Quote Originally Posted by dumbdonkey:
    You are making this decision based on photos and YouTube?
    and without even stepping foot in HK yourself for a month or so?

OP, dont forget that there are things you can do around the home as well to help with pollutants etc.
    Get air purifyers such as the IQ units. Cost quite a bit but does give benefits.
    One of our daughters has mild asthma. We have had units in the bedrooms, running 24/7, knowing that at least when she is home and in her room, the air is clean. Have noticed a difference with her (for the better).

also most of the pollution you experience in HK is roadside emitted...

so if you live in Sai Kung pretty much on top of a big mountain as I do then I dont feel like I'm living in pollution at all.....

Skyhook likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast