Like Tree84Likes

Disappointed by HK

Closed Thread
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Original Post Deleted
    I think he's mentioned many times he lives around Sham Tseng and has lived in the GC in the past. Never seemed reticent to me. Perhaps he now has an internet stalker and is being more careful.
    luckycat likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    I am not forcing ppl to give information on those boards. Ppl give it freely.

I used to live in the Gold Coast area (plenty of info on that on Geoexpat), then I lived in the HungHom area (plenty of info on that on Geo expat), now I live somewhere else (near a very cute beach and 5mn walk from some nice trail - it's about 30 mn from Central by direct bus).

re-last week: I did not try to suggest I had kid (my pharsing might not always be perfect, remember I am not native..), simply highlighted that whether I had one, was waiting for one or had none, I was still entitle to an opinion.
    MovingIn07, Beuze and luckycat like this.

Original Post Deleted
    Isn't it who keep bitching about how bad gold coast was when actually you had beaches, trail-walk , a huge football field with real grass all less than 5 mins walk from your place. But you choose to move on top a shopping mall ? all this because you had to endure a 35 minutes shuttle bus ride ?

Oops Mat already say that !
    Last edited by Beuze; 05-12-2011 at 01:53 PM.
    MovingIn07 and luckycat like this.

Quote Originally Posted by anothercanuck:
    ...many (not all) of the outdoor nature-type activities available here are not of the same quality of experience that (possibly) the OP is envisioning...

I realize that things are different here and I accept it, though I certainly don't think they are better; I'm just trying to impress that on the OP
    Now that I understand and accept your point, I would ask you to do the same with mine:

although the parents may feel better about the differences and the quality of the activities "back home" or "somewhere else", Hong Kong as just as many opportunities for exploration and exercise as any other city.

In fact, I would argue that comparing with other big cities (Manhattan, London, LA, Paris etc etc), Hong Kong has many more varied activities for kids, closer to the city and these locales can be reached more conveniently. These activities may be different but they are equally beneficial to the growing needs of children.

My most important point is : it doesn't matter how the kids get their exercise. The fact that they do and have the opportunity to do is more important on how big or how green the grass is.

If you are not near the bike paths, then go for a hike. The path is too far, go for a swim. You dont like swimming, go climbing indoor or outdoor. Horses? Football? Rugby? Netball? Sailing? There are many many choices at very affordable costs.
    Mat likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    I find it astonishing that you can say that. Whatever it's failings, HK has HUGE areas for "getting outside" and enjoying oneself that are so convenient. When living in the UK, I used to have to drive several hours to go for a "proper hike" whereas here I can walk about 10 minutes from my office and hit the HK trail, or 10 mins from my home and hit the Maclehose Trail, not to mention the hundreds of KM of less well marked trails. Similarly, I pass about a dozen beaches on the bus into work from home and can access a beach within a few minutes of both the office and home. I can go cycling, go horseriding, go swimming in a pool, play tennis ... and if happy to exercise indoors, I can use the climbing walls, play squash, huge number of gyms etc etc.

During the summer you can walk just a short distance from Central and find waterfalls and swimming holes which are just so pretty and clean (fresh water) which you can swim in.

Anyone who thinks that HK has no easily accessible outdoor space is just not looking or not making any effort at all.
    Wow...chill out!!

What is so astonishing about the fact that its harder for me to get to open spaces?

I didn't say IMPOSSIBLE, just harder. I still make the effort and enjoy it but it would be nicer if I had a nice big park for a lunchtime run etc.
    Last edited by gmi; 05-12-2011 at 02:11 PM.

Original Post Deleted
    Enjoy your life on top of a shopping mall in a souless part of HK and we will continue to correct any lies about the lack of easily accessible nature in HK as and whe we see them.

What is the difference between an open space (very desirable apparently) and a pocket of isolation (not so desirable apparently)?

I'm curious!

Quote Originally Posted by justjoe86:
    What is the difference between an open space (very desirable apparently) and a pocket of isolation (not so desirable apparently)?

I'm curious!
    Indeed especially given that at work everyone strive for a pocket of isolation (closed office - bosses) instead of an open space (staff)....

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    Indeed especially given that at work everyone strive for a pocket of isolation (closed office - bosses) instead of an open space (staff)....

LOL - brilliant

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    Where do you live and where were you living before _ I think that is the key issue. If you come from NZ or Australia I would not be surprised but if you are from downtown London I would be surprised to be honest...not to mention the weather in London.

I spend almost all my weekends out (running on trail - literally behind my home) or dragon boating or simply hiking with friends or seating outside like yesterday on the grass of the Weatin in Macau.

Not to mention the regular junk trip, BBQ...

I certainly spent much less time outside when I was living in Paris.
    Lived all over the world and in central London for quite a significant amount of time. Much like you I'm a very active person, and make the most of Hong Kong. And it does have it's great points...I don't dispute that.

Closed Thread
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast