Like Tree84Likes

Disappointed by HK

Closed Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    Now that I understand and accept your point, I would ask you to do the same with mine:

although the parents may feel better about the differences and the quality of the activities "back home" or "somewhere else", Hong Kong as just as many opportunities for exploration and exercise as any other city.

In fact, I would argue that comparing with other big cities (Manhattan, London, LA, Paris etc etc), Hong Kong has many more varied activities for kids, closer to the city and these locales can be reached more conveniently. These activities may be different but they are equally beneficial to the growing needs of children.

My most important point is : it doesn't matter how the kids get their exercise. The fact that they do and have the opportunity to do is more important on how big or how green the grass is.

If you are not near the bike paths, then go for a hike. The path is too far, go for a swim. You dont like swimming, go climbing indoor or outdoor. Horses? Football? Rugby? Netball? Sailing? There are many many choices at very affordable costs.
    so basically you are focused on quantity...that's great. I am more focused on quality. To each his own I suppose.

I know these are 'urban parks', and its probably much the same with many parks around the world if your in a big city, but if you click through the links and have a look at the pictures many of them are basically just a bit of concrete.

List of urban public parks and gardens in Hong Kong - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

TheBrit and dear giant like this.

Quote Originally Posted by anothercanuck:
    so basically you are focused on quantity...that's great. I am more focused on quality. To each his own I suppose.
    I do not thnk that is what he means.

It's just different.

If you like windsurfing, in HK you can, in London you can't.

If your kids like running barefoot in the grass it's easier in London but if your kids like rock climbing it's easier in HK.

Ppl focuses on activitis they are used to do back home and find "normal" or the "norm" or the way their kids would/should be happy (because that is how they were raised) instead of seeing other opportunities offered by HK.
    HowardCoombs and MovingIn07 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by luckycat:
    Guantanamo, Tripoli or Middlesborough
    The citizens of guantanamo and Tripoli will be outraged at this association.
    luckycat and SiuMaiTaiTai like this.

Quote Originally Posted by anothercanuck:
    Does your goal for quality give your child a better future than my quest for Quantity, Affordability and Proximity?

Will the fact that some kid in London having access to a really big green field make him better or healthier person that my kids having access to the racetrack in Happy Valley? The answer is no - wont make any difference. The size nor the quality of the grass wont matter one bit.

What a kid needs is decent food, good amount of exercise and a loving home. All of that can be had quite easily in Hong Kong; which is what the OP is worried about.
    konab likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    the Editor deleted your post for a reason - bullshit, so, shussh now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    Ppl focuses on activitis they are used to do back home and find "normal" or the "norm" or the way their kids would/should be happy (because that is how they were raised) instead of seeing other opportunities offered by HK.
    Very insightful comment actually. Applies to adults as well as kids.

Quote Originally Posted by gmi:
    I know these are 'urban parks', and its probably much the same with many parks around the world if your in a big city, but if you click through the links and have a look at the pictures many of them are basically just a bit of concrete.

List of urban public parks and gardens in Hong Kong - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Click thru some of these and you will find many of them have concrete plus pools plus skating areas, some have aviaries, some have picnic areas and much more.
    Leisure and Cultural Services Department - Parks, Zoos & Gardens

Original Post Deleted
    There are urban parks:
    Leisure and Cultural Services Department - Parks, Zoos & Gardens
    And there are country parks :
    AFCD Country Parks

The fact that country parks also have hiking trails in them does not make them invisible.
    Nor the fact that they are in hills, have some parts of concrete with BBQ pits make them inferior to parks in any other city.
    Get out and walk around, take in the sights and see the city in its entirety sometime - you may actually run into one of these parks.

Thank's LC.
    Being Middlesbrough born and bred I am delighted that my home towns profile is being heightened on this forum. It's about time someone had something positive to say about the place. As for where I would rather be, Boro or HK? No contest really. Still here.

luckycat likes this.