Does Pollution in HK Worry You?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

this weekend was gorgeous at our place...we commented several times about how blue the sky was, but we definitely chose not to go to causeway bay or central. I had no idea it had crossed a critical level, but yes, monday was quite "hazy" here.

I do hope we haven't made a poor decision in moving here, we are having a baby in spring, and I fear the little critter will have to stay indoors all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by rebekah:
    I fear the little critter will have to stay indoors all the time.
    What sort of property do you live in that has gas-proof doors? If the air has high concentrations of Nitrogen Dioxide and Sulphur Dioxide then the concentrations inside your house are going to be pretty similar to those outside unless it is somehow hermetically sealed.

I know that we feel better when we stay indoors vs. walking around in CWB. I am not saying it is safe, but it does seem to be a bit better than the outside air

Quote Originally Posted by KnowItAll:
    Alby - Was not aware of the law. Its definitely not something that the cops try and enforce around this town.
    Even the officer was not aware... at first he was like in HK there is no such law... I told him he was wrong and that he should check with another officer... he radioed in to the station to verify...then apologized to me and went to work...

Quote Originally Posted by canuckinhk:
    good for you for doing something! so many times people get annoyed by these sorts of things, but don't take action.

i've found this on the epd website. i am now keeping a piece of paper in the car and my handbag to jot down offenders and will report them.
    https://epic.epd.gov.hk/ca/uid/smoky_public

Thanks this is super useful too!

That's a great page to know about.

I was out in the New Territories (Tai Mo Shan) on Saturday with half a dozen people. Two of them came down with breathing difficulties resembling asthma, and they're not asthmatic.

Quote Originally Posted by Boris:
    I don't believe you because you must live in a different New Territories to me. Saturday was clear and bright. I went for a wonderful walk with a cooling breeze around Plover Cove reservoir.
    Are we all talking about the same Saturday? The one last week was terrible! The media had warned people of outdoor activities on that day. We went hiking in the N.T., visibility was Zero (not from heat haze) and most of us had breating difficulties after a couple of hours. Our lungs felt like we smoked a pack of cigarettes.
    I can send you a picture which should show you Tai Po, but all you can see is a grey something.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    I was out in the New Territories (Tai Mo Shan) on Saturday with half a dozen people. Two of them came down with breathing difficulties resembling asthma, and they're not asthmatic.
    Do I know you? Sounds exactly like my group...

The industrial pollution not so much.

More worried about people in the MTR with stained clothes, body smell, bad breath or skin problems.

Quote Originally Posted by mjk:
    Are we all talking about the same Saturday? The one last week was terrible! The media had warned people of outdoor activities on that day. We went hiking in the N.T., visibility was Zero (not from heat haze) and most of us had breating difficulties after a couple of hours. Our lungs felt like we smoked a pack of cigarettes.
    I can send you a picture which should show you Tai Po, but all you can see is a grey something.

Do I know you? Sounds exactly like my group...
    See Rebekahs post on the previous page. I don't feel this is a place for he said, she said but this person lives ( I think ) on the island and had the same day as me.

Don't worry! I got a solution right here....