Like Tree110Likes

Standard of living is getting worse in Hong Kong?

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Our power bill arrived at the weekend. It was $1.00 HK. Now that makes the high rent less onerous.....

Haven't looked to see if it was read or estimated...

Quote Originally Posted by Satay Sue:
    I miss the old style flicker boards in train stations and airports.
    Fiona in HKG likes this.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by Wangavegas gal:
    Our power bill arrived at the weekend. It was $1.00 HK. Now that makes the high rent less onerous.....

Haven't looked to see if it was read or estimated...
    Government rebate of $150.

Also miss the old Government Stadium and being able to walk around/between the pitch and the seats to see friends at the Sevens. The new stadium lacks the old one's intimacy and charm, not that the HKRFU gives a flying fig about that...

Quote Originally Posted by Fiona in HKG:
    I think only one ever flew into the hills and my memory is it flew into the hill on takeoff but I could be wrong....a Flying Tiger?

However, a few did end up in the water at the end of the runway over the years!

Remarkable, really, that nothing worse ever happened, had someone misjudged coming down over the city....doesn't bear thinking about!

I believe in the mid-1960s, a chartered plane, carrying American GIs (on R&R from Vietnam), crashed into Parker Hill on take off, killing everyone on board. That was the only aviation accident I remember from my childhood in Hong Kong.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    Government rebate of $150.
    Yes, feel a bit guilty about that, there must be better uses of that money....

Quote Originally Posted by Wangavegas gal:
    Yes, feel a bit guilty about that, there must be better uses of that money....
    Nothing to stop taking the $150 you would have paid and giving it to charity.

Cool Worth the try

Quote Originally Posted by HKChan:
    Hello all,

Personally i haven't been using this forum for a very long time!

Having been living in Hong Kong for almost 4 years, despite my compensation package gets increased at a decent rate year on year, i personally find the living standard in Hong Kong is getting worse compared to what it was... i.e.: housing cost is getting sheer ridiculous, city getting way over populated with people from the mainland, pollution is just getting worse, not much of an art scene here, expats aren't generally happy, getting kids into a decent school is just a nightmare (though it is not my plate!), people aren't that nice anymore in general... but worse of all... HK is a rather filthy city.

There are obviously some good sides on the city, like super efficiency and being able to get any groceries from the world.

On a side note, I got offered an opportunity to move to Singapore for 2 years and decided to give it a try... that said I have reservations on the lifestyle there. Nonetheless, I get to come back to Hong Kong often.

Not quite sure if i am the only one who has the same sentiment... What are your thoughts?

If you like living in a very controlled environment and a weird sort of Disneyland, you will enjoy Singapore. You can expect an island with hardly any beaches worth getting to, constantly HOT and humid weather, lots of immigrants/workers from PRC and the Indian subcontinent, lousy public transport and the world's most expensive place for private cars. And no real freedom of speech - no one would be able to demonstrate outside any shop that won't allow you to take pictures (you risk being thrown into jail).

You'll be happy to return after your 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by lifeisgood:
    If you like living in a very controlled environment and a weird sort of Disneyland, you will enjoy Singapore. You can expect an island with hardly any beaches worth getting to, constantly HOT and humid weather, lots of immigrants/workers from PRC and the Indian subcontinent, lousy public transport and the world's most expensive place for private cars. And no real freedom of speech - no one would be able to demonstrate outside any shop that won't allow you to take pictures (you risk being thrown into jail).

You'll be happy to return after your 2 years.
    Even as someone who regularly does NOT recommend Singapore I do have to question a couple of your points.
    Lousy public transport? Um, no.
    Immigrants from the PRC? Yes, there are many. As there are here. How does that annoy you more than here?
    Immigrants from India? Yes there are many. But how does that annoy you?

Quote Originally Posted by Fiona in HKG:
    I think only one ever flew into the hills and my memory is it flew into the hill on takeoff but I could be wrong....a Flying Tiger?

However, a few did end up in the water at the end of the runway over the years!

Remarkable, really, that nothing worse ever happened, had someone misjudged coming down over the city....doesn't bear thinking about!
    List of KaiTak related accidents:
    Kai Tak Airport - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast