Like Tree69Likes

Anyone living in Park Island now who can share some feedback?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast

Anyone living in Park Island now who can share some feedback?

Hi there, we are apartment hunting now and are considering a few properties including Park Island. Id like to hear some pros and cons of living there especially if you have a family with kids. Any advise would be much appreciated! Thanks!

I don't live there but also checked it out to possibly move there. I seems very pleasant and family oriented, I believe there is a school on the island. The views of the water are very nice as well, and I think the rent there is relatively cheaper, but that is partly to do with its accessibility. There is a boat which connects it to central but that only runs every half hour, otherwise you have to take a bus, and there's restricted access for taxis and no access for cars, which is the reason my husband who works in central is anti moving there. I actually think its quite nice.

Hi Kat - Park Island is the best place I have lived so far in HK. I can honestly say that I love living there. Its a good choice if you have kids and are worried about where to live in HK with children. For kids there are play rooms, beaches, swimming pools, and very little traffic on the island.

One link with lots of information about Park Island is Living on Park Island, Ma Wan, Hong Kong

There is also a Park Island facebook group that is well worth joining. I won't post that link, but you can search for the group under the name "The Ma Wan Network". Just ask the group organizer to be added. Its mainly expats on that group, but its pretty active and a great way to meet people and get advice about living there.

Good luck!

I think it's the best place to live in HK to be honest. (unless you're the kind of person that likes to go out drinking and partying every evenings or week ends) in that case i'd go somewhere else if i were you.
    Park Island is a bit more remote. so you get more spaces, more green, newer flats, better and bigger club houses, a beach, its more quiet.
    It's not as remote as people think though. Ferries are every 15 min during rush hour and only takes 25 min to go to Central.
    If you look at prices, i truly think it offers best value for money in HK. (taking into consideration the size of the flat, the age of the building, the quality of the club house AND the unobstructed view) I don't think you can find a better value for money that that. I looked for more than a year visiting over 150 properties. if you know better please let me know.

for the cons... well its a bit further out but you probably already figured it out.
    One of the other cons would be that there aren't many shops and restaurants on the island. I think HK is probably one of the most convenient city on earth. you can find anything you want and everything is usually opened until late. Well you lose a bit of that convenience being here. There are a few shops and restaurants on the island, but not as much as on HK island obviously. Thats the only 2 cons I can think of seriously. And the PROS massively outweigh the cons in my experience. Especially for young families and people with pets.

Quote Originally Posted by lrpolo:
    I don't live there but also checked it out to possibly move there. I seems very pleasant and family oriented, I believe there is a school on the island. The views of the water are very nice as well, and I think the rent there is relatively cheaper, but that is partly to do with its accessibility. There is a boat which connects it to central but that only runs every half hour, otherwise you have to take a bus, and there's restricted access for taxis and no access for cars, which is the reason my husband who works in central is anti moving there. I actually think its quite nice.
    If you owned a car and lived on Park Island couldn't you just park it somewhere else? Tsuen Wan for example?

Quote Originally Posted by bryant.english:
    If you owned a car and lived on Park Island couldn't you just park it somewhere else? Tsuen Wan for example?
    Not very convenient to be frank. Tsuen wan is about 20 minutes from Park Island, add the time to go to the car park...and you are looking at 30 minutes just to get to ur car. Closer would be Tsing Yi but still that's a good 25 minutes from ur flat (go down, take lift,....) to ur car.

I hope there are better alternatives.

not being funny, but why would anyone need a car in hk? Honestly...
    its just an expensive toy. nothing else.
    First of all, you get the best transport in the world in HK. MTR, minibus, bus, tram and taxis and ferries. all running 24/7 and all being VERY VERY cheap and going everywhere.
    Second of all, the traffic is always bad. even faster to travel by foot sometimes.
    Finally you cannot even take your car in china or anywhere else!!!! its not like in Europe or in the Americas where you can do a road trip, drive for miles and cross borders etc...in HK you are just stuck in this very small island! its ridiculous. but maybe thats another thread i should be starting.

MovingIn07 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by njaeger:
    not being funny, but why would anyone need a car in hk? Honestly...
    its just an expensive toy. nothing else.
    First of all, you get the best transport in the world in HK. MTR, minibus, bus, tram and taxis and ferries. all running 24/7 and all being VERY VERY cheap and going everywhere.
    Second of all, the traffic is always bad. even faster to travel by foot sometimes.
    Finally you cannot even take your car in china or anywhere else!!!! its not like in Europe or in the Americas where you can do a road trip, drive for miles and cross borders etc...in HK you are just stuck in this very small island! its ridiculous. but maybe thats another thread i should be starting.
    it can be useful if u live in certain parts of Hk or if u have a large family (ie young kids, elderly),
    Satay Sue likes this.

Thank you everyone for your kind insights! Really appreciate it. I do like most of what Park Island has to offer but i have 3 reservations:

1. I do get sea sick (even worse after my being pregnant with my son and now its stuck with me and its even worse than before) so im kinda restricted to taking the ferry into central.

2. We will be planning for #2 sometime this year and i am worried that if i have an emergency i cannot get access to a taxi; unless the management there has a way to allow a taxi into the island cos im pregnant? Any advise or experience on that please?

3. I didnt see alot of restaurants or cafes there although thats not a big concern compared to the other 2 points above. BTW has anyone tried ordering pizza and getting it delivered? Any issues there?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast