Like Tree10Likes

First time getting into DSLR

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Here's an example photo, just to give you an idea of what to expect. Quite exciting what they can do these days, I must say...

Name:  Image00019.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  184.9 KB

Last edited by Skyhook; 22-02-2012 at 07:17 PM. Reason: uploading photo mode is screwed up ?

was deciding btw a canon 600d and 1100d. went for the 1100d in the end as its cheaper and good for a noob

Does GEO compress photo files after you upload them, as they look soft compared to how they look at this end ?

Also after I uploaded a photo off my desktop, when I went to add another photo, the only choice I had was to link a http img... ?

Geo having a few teething probs ?

Last edited by Skyhook; 22-02-2012 at 08:01 PM.

I've got a Nikon D5000 and it is a lovely camera with many features........I would guess I take pictures with my HTC about 20:1, purely because the Nikon is a lump to lug about and has a bit of value in it. On the other hand, for special occasions, marketing purposes and distance I wouldn't use a lesser camera now.

I used my Nikon to photograph a sports day for my school recently, my shots look professional.....actually, a good camera and the ability to rapidly snap many pictures can make anyone a good photographer IMO...

Original Post Deleted
    Ha ha yeah, they were of Emu, I was quite surprised to see them at Tai Tong Lai Chi Valley, near Yuen Long city !

I hear you Tiges, regarding the MACRO, the Fuji allows you to get 1cm from subject and produces tack sharp super macro photography. I haven't had time to really spend the time being creative with it as yet, but plan to lol.

It's amazing how much photographic goodness they can jam pack into some of the better compacts, these days.....

Wow skyhook.. those quality really are quite impressive... (did you eat those birds btw?)

One other thing i like about Canon... is that it is famous for it's dust removal system too right?

Would you guys agree with the general statements of:
    - Nikon start-ups are a bit more pricey but with the basic set up, it's image quality produced is a bit sharper than canon?
    - Canon has a wider range of lenses available (which also means you'd need to spend more $$)

And with some of the comments earlier on... I understand that DSLRs are a bit of a lug.. but I do have a pocket camera which isn't too bad already. And I'd like the opportunity to develop my photography skills with something more professional. Thank you everyone who posted so far! I really appreciate your efforts and comments

Last edited by mrdream; 23-02-2012 at 11:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    Does GEO compress photo files after you upload them, as they look soft compared to how they look at this end ?

Also after I uploaded a photo off my desktop, when I went to add another photo, the only choice I had was to link a http img... ?

Geo having a few teething probs ?
    I believe we downsize images by 75% in quality for faster loading. Best to upload the full 12 megapixel file to Flickr and link it here if you really want to show off the quality and sharpness.

No issues on our end. In the Manage Attachments window, you just keep uploading however many files (10 max) with the "Upload Files from your Computer" input/browse button.

Quote Originally Posted by GeoTommy:
    I believe we downsize images by 75% in quality for faster loading. Best to upload the full 12 megapixel file to Flickr and link it here if you really want to show off the quality and sharpness.

No issues on our end. In the Manage Attachments window, you just keep uploading however many files (10 max) with the "Upload Files from your Computer" input/browse button.
    Thanks for the explanation Tommy...Cheers, bloke.

Setting up a Flickr account as we speak.... lol

Quote Originally Posted by mrdream:
    I don't have a particular purpose with this DSLR. Basically for everyday use and I'd like to be able to use it to produce some images that I could use for a website I'm creating (mainly close up and indoor shots).
    You do not NEED a DSLR to produce great images. If you have no active interest / passion in learning photography, then I would argue that you have no need for DSLR. People have a misconception that if they purchase an expensive kit, they will get AMAZING photos. That is simply not true. A skilled photographer who knows how to masterfully use light and environment can create amazing images with nearly any equipment.

While there are many benefits of DSLRs for us hobbyists / professionals, to an everyday user they are often a burnen which ends up collecting dust and then re-sold after the value depreciation.

Fo every-day photos I doubt very much one needs more than a compact (i.e. Canon Powershot S100 which is a very capable little camera which even pro's use for travel / scouting).

If you don't want the weight but want the flexibility of depth of field / focal lengths than as others mentioned, mirrorless systems may be an option as well (Olympus PEN, Panasonic GF2, Nikon 1, etc)

However, if you are serious about learning photography and using it for a wide array of applications then a more serious kit may be in order. However, I would first look at the budget and purpose and then make a recommendation based on that. Often times, money is better spent on quality accessories (such as Tripod / head, glass, filters, lights) than on a camera body. DSLR bodies change all the time, but a solid investment in glass / tripod will last for a long long time. It all depends on the need.

I would agree with 80% of what climber is saying. However, the Op mentioned that he will be taking alot of indoor pics which means that low light ability is an important consideration. A DSLR will generally be less noisy and allow the user to select a higher ISO so as to avoid using flash while handholding.

My personal bias - let me first say I really like the Canon S100, however, for many instances where a P&S form factor is appreciated I think something like an Apple iPhone will do. Therefore, I don't see the need for a p&s if one has a nice smart cameraphone.

Depth of field - control over this is very important even to beginner photographers, and the OP wanted to grow into his camera. Hence, if he doesn't mind the bigger bulk, then a DSLR is the way to go. As I said, the Canon 5DMkII will be dropping in price and this is a great camera (full frame is in my opinion the way forward - I am old school film guy and the crop sensors just don't do it for me). The camera is not important used to be the mantra in the film days, but with today's digi cams, the camera is becoming increasingly more important.

But then the OP never stated his budget, so whilst a 5DII is value to me, it may be too much camera for him price wise.