Like Tree2Likes

Shipping costs

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Shipping costs

I have just been quoted $32,000 to ship door to door from HK to England using only half a 20 foot container.
    This seems quite excessive.
    I would welcome any comments and/or recommendations.

lcl or fcl?

Sent from my GT-S5360 using GeoClicks Mobile

LCL

Boris.
    This must be LCL as they indicated it would be sharing a container.
    I did request them to quote for one half of a 20 foot container, which would come out at around 500 cubic metres.

We shipped a 20 footer from the USA to HK and it was about $6,500 USD ($50,400 HKD). Not sure if those numbers help or not. Took about 7 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Fei Gweilo:
    I have just been quoted $32,000 to ship door to door from HK to England using only half a 20 foot container.
    This seems quite excessive.
    I would welcome any comments and/or recommendations.
    I was quoted HKD 40,000 from HK to Karachi (pakistan) Door to Door - Crown Relocations Also for half a 20ft - excessive I know.

I then scrapped the idea and thought of taking essential and my TV with excess baggage via air I was quoted GBP 1,100

Excess Baggage Company - Free Quote - Shipping & Storage Services

Good luck

btw these relocations companies Forwarders are making too much money.

I recently worked in Shipping and just the Ocean freight from Asia to North Europe is around USD 700-800 per 20ft. add on the packaging, trucking, clearing at both ends still doesn't justify what their charing.

Prices change month to month. 700 was the rate back in Oct/Nov -- the rates are more than double that now.

I'm not making any comments about Relocation companies as I know nothing about how much money they make.

First point -- 500 cubic metres ???
    A 20ft is around 28 cubic meters (CBM)

Second point
    - Those quoting rates Asia to other places are not relevant from other places into Asia. Shipping companies have MUCH lower rates coming in. Its better than sending empty space back.

Third point - your being ripped off. There is a set price per CBM + Plus other charges like packing, trucking to port, packing, unpacking and trucking to address and customs clearance costs.

Lastly
    Find a number for Carry Cargo Ltd in Leeds. Ask for Dave Evans and he will set you straight. Say his buddy David in HK recommended him. He is straight up 24/7. Then you can judge

dear giant likes this.

I think the OP is suggesting 500 cubic feet == 14CBM which is roughly 1/2 a 20FCL...

Also, speaking of ripoff
    It costs more to move a container from UK Port (Felixstowe or Southampton) to Leeds via truck
    VS
    Getting that container from Hong Kong to UK.

Last edited by HowardCoombs; 13-03-2012 at 10:32 PM.

Thanks to all for for your time and comments. Keep them coming.

Boris. Yes, that would be 500 Cubic Feet, my mistake.
    I will try to contact the bloke at Carry Cargo tonight UK time.
    I dId recently see a comment from a Japanese woman who advised to use a relocation company from the destination country and not one of the HK ones due to costs.

What also confuses me, is that the relocation companies often say they need to do an on site survey before giving a price.
    Surely, they can give an approximate quote if you tell them how much cubic feet you will need along with the locations of origin and destination.
    Obviously, the final cost would fluctuate depending on type and size of goods to be packed.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast