Like Tree17Likes

Lamma Island or Discovery Bay

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Lots of good info here, thanks! We should be getting more info from the school soon, i'm just not very patient and very excited by the news. The 15-20k is really up in the air right now, just an initial number and likely to change. I am assuming we will be living in about 700-900 s/f for a 3 bdr apt. So while i'd like places to take my dog, i'd also like things to do outside the apartment. I had generally assumed that anything on HK island would be too expensive, or be too in the city for a dog.

I think we will definately be looking for a serviced apartment nearby for at least a month, since it looks like finding a permanent place could take a while.

keep in mind that most serviced apartments do not allow animals, so you would either have to have your dog join you later or bring your dog over and put him in a boarding/kennel until you find your flat.

That goes for your parrot, too.

Absolutely come and view before making any decisions. We thought we would live in Sai Kung or Pokfulam before we arrived - we ended up living in Mid-levels for several reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by dougmal:
    So while i'd like places to take my dog, i'd also like things to do outside the apartment. I had generally assumed that anything on HK island would be too expensive, or be too in the city for a dog.
    We live in Happy Valley. 2 parents, 3 kids, 2 dogs. Parents work and kids go to school while the dogs go out for their walks 3 times per day. All very convenient because we live very centrally close to everything.

On the weekends, the closest beach is 20 mins taxi ride, the closest hiking hill is 10 mins taxi ride. If we want, we can venture out to one of the islands (1h) or go up to the new territories/Sai Kung and get even further out.

Living in the city is more expensive, but and you get less for your $$$ but for us, the convenience trumps everything else. 20K is a bit low (but still workable); If you can bring that up a bit more you can have a fairly decent place in the city and be very close to everything.
    Satay Sue and dougmal like this.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    We live in Happy Valley. 2 parents, 3 kids, 2 dogs. Parents work and kids go to school while the dogs go out for their walks 3 times per day. All very convenient because we live very centrally close to everything.

On the weekends, the closest beach is 20 mins taxi ride, the closest hiking hill is 10 mins taxi ride. If we want, we can venture out to one of the islands (1h) or go up to the new territories/Sai Kung and get even further out.

Living in the city is more expensive, but and you get less for your $$$ but for us, the convenience trumps everything else. 20K is a bit low (but still workable); If you can bring that up a bit more you can have a fairly decent place in the city and be very close to everything.
    What size is your place Howard? Any facilities? How many brms, and how much are you paying?

Quote Originally Posted by randy1:
    What size is your place Howard? Any facilities? How many brms, and how much are you paying?
    1600 sqft, 3BR + helpers room, with race course view. Its an old building therefore no facilities. We currently pay 30K but we have an old deal. Current renters pay 45K for similar flats.

Howard - that sound's like a great deal you have there. Let's not raise false expectations for newcomers. Realisticlly, I would think the of place you have, if you were arriving now, you would need to pay 50-60K for, unless the interior is very low quality (in which it might be 45K).

Quote Originally Posted by randy1:
    if you were arriving now, you would need to pay 50-60K for, unless the interior is very low quality (in which it might be 45K).
    I seriously doubt that, rents have come down recently.

I've seen several places on squarefoot.com.hk that are about 750 s/f for 20-25k. 3bdr. 1600 sf sounds lovely, but i'm assuming we'll be somewhere under 1000 sf. How's air quality in Happy Valley? I've heard stories of pollution in HK, but not sure if that's on the island or on the mainland part. I've read that Lantau and Lamma are good air quality, but don't know about HK island.

Also, while it's good to know what's available within taxi range. If you live near the racetrack in Happy Valley, are there things to do within walking distance?