Like Tree30Likes

finding work in hk

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

finding work in hk

I am planning to relocate to hk in may to be with my filipina wife who is taking a 2 yr contract working in a hotel. she is currently a bar waitress in LKF to raise the down payment for her contract and she is on good pay and big tips. i plan to find employment there in the same line of work but i am white british. would i find work there easily? because my wife made it look vary easy and she says there are plenty of job opportunities there.

"to raise teh down payment on her contract" what the heck would you mean by that?

and no, you won't get a visa unless you are some fancy flare bartender (maybe) or a manager...there are plenty of locals who can do the same job.

to be honest, i'm surprised your wife was able to get a visa...

oh, wait a minute... depending on her salary etc, you may be eligible for a dependent visa. in which case, you can do whatever you like... but waiting tables sucks, paywise... i know, i did it for 2-3 years many, many moons ago.

You need to tell us your qualifications and what kind of job you are looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by thegame181:
    You need to tell us your qualifications and what kind of job you are looking for.
    He already said, bar/hotel work.

shane, you will need to attend to the visa issue.

i have never heard of a work contract that requires a "down payment"... am i missing something here? or is he referring to the deposit on a flat?

she's talking about a 2 yr hotel contract in house keeping. that's what she was told and it would be 10,000 or 50,000 HKD down payment,i honestly forget the amount. i will have to find out more from her because honestly i did't like the sound of it at first. i have never heard of the dependant visa but it sounds like a good idea. i have only work experience serving F&B as i left high school at 16 but my wife has all her university degrees in HRM. so i'm not expecting to find a great job but anything will be better than nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by shane1977:
    she's talking about a 2 yr hotel contract in house keeping. that's what she was told and it would be 10,000 or 50,000 HKD down payment,i honestly forget the amount. i will have to find out more from her because honestly i did't like the sound of it at first.
    This doesn't make any sense. I highly recommend you get the full details about what she has entered into before making any plans to uproot yourself and move out here.
    Mat and shane1977 like this.

she hasn't entered into it yet. my main concern is that it is legit and the only reason i can think for a down payment is because she will need a 2 yr work permit. it is driving me crazy the more i think about it. thanks for your advice, your correct and we both need to discuss it seriously.

bookblogger likes this.

Watch out for scams. There is no charge for a work permit, and you can't pay an employer to get you one.

shane1977 likes this.

ok,thank you i will tell her before she does something she will regret.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast