Like Tree95Likes

My hubby is leaving today and I feel so heartbroken. This is the beginning of our move :(

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Original Post Deleted
    yes, i agree. being poor in this city suck. DeletedUser is the best person for advice on surviving in this city on a dime.

I cannot understand why someone would be "heartbroken" because their partner is leaving temporarily!

Seems you have some serious trust issues..........

.......... oh yes, I remember:

http://hongkong.geoexpat.com/forum/63/thread222397.html

Arriving Saturday, eh? good night to familiarise himself with the nightlife!

I'm confused. Has OP moved to HK with hubby and hubby leaving HK right away, or is hubby moving to HK alone for 2 months?
    And where did you read about OP being in the US?

I don't know what's going on, but I am away from boyfriend for a year (though I have visited him and he did the same). I think you can get through this. Two months is quite short if you think about how long you still have down the road. We are still 3-4 months apart, and until then, we sure won't get to see each other, other than on the webcam. We have been doing alright for all the time.

But then, I have been away from family for 11 years. I am used to goodbyes. My boyfriend isn't though. It's harder on him than it is on me. I think he would have been thrilled if we were only apart for two months. Good luck to you two, but trust me, time will fly.

Quote Originally Posted by vwyleung:
    I'm confused. Has OP moved to HK with hubby and hubby leaving HK right away, or is hubby moving to HK alone for 2 months?
    And where did you read about OP being in the US?

I don't know what's going on, but I am away from boyfriend for a year (though I have visited him and he did the same). I think you can get through this. Two months is quite short if you think about how long you still have down the road. We are still 3-4 months apart, and until then, we sure won't get to see each other, other than on the webcam. We have been doing alright for all the time.

But then, I have been away from family for 11 years. I am used to goodbyes. My boyfriend isn't though. It's harder on him than it is on me. I think he would have been thrilled if we were only apart for two months. Good luck to you two, but trust me, time will fly.
    I doubt if anyone here knows this except few. People enjoy microblogging.

Quote Originally Posted by dumbdonkey:
    yes, i agree. being poor in this city suck. DeletedUser is the best person for advice on surviving in this city on a dime.
    Well he does buy seafood in temple street - living on the edge.

Original Post Deleted
    Since you and Dear Giant are obviously only here for the money quit your whining

Monster, I really sympathise. I felt similar when we left London in 1996 for Tokyo - and that was WITH my husband But you will be surprised how quickly time passes, you'll be so busy before you go then once you get here you'll be caught up again. With Skype you can keep in touch so easily now.
    If you do feel lonely when you get here there are a couple of lunch clubs or there's usually someone arranging drinks etc.
    Hope the move goes well!

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    too bad you aren't moving with a positive attitude... you could, instead of being sad, look at it as an adventure for the two of you...

negativity certainly won't help you settle in here...you'll just bring your misery with you, which won't be fun for anyone.
    Carang- I find this surprising from you. To be so unsympathetic of someone about to move and the nerve of them to miss home & friends. You say you're not being nasty, but your posts reads very much like an attack on her and the US. I know you are incredibly defensive about Hong Kong, but the OP never said anything negative about Hong Kong! Simply that she was going to miss her old life. Very normal and acceptable emotions even from someone who wants the adventure of expat life.
    dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by erin320:
    Carang- I find this surprising from you. To be so unsympathetic of someone about to move and the nerve of them to miss home & friends. You say you're not being nasty, but your posts reads very much like an attack on her and the US. I know you are incredibly defensive about Hong Kong, but the OP never said anything negative about Hong Kong! Simply that she was going to miss her old life. Very normal and acceptable emotions even from someone who wants the adventure of expat life.
    Sorry but I have to agree with Cara on this.

OP is coming in with a negative mind set and coming here with a negative mind set and a defeatist attitude is not going to help one iota.

Yes she's leaving family and friends for an undetermined period, And obviously miss them dearly but with the advent of skype, whatsapp facebook etc etc it's easier to keep in touch than those that made the move say 15-20 years ago etc.

OP treat this as a new adventure which it's going to be. HK is an easy place to meet friends and keep yourself busy by building up an active social network. The first few months will be tough whilst you're settling in but you'll be just fine.

Chin up and once you're properly settled I'm sure we'll organize brunches and dinners etc.

Actually, regarding positive mental attitude, a short tale of someone here who caved in to negativity.
    A friend I knew here recently came back from her trip home (England) at Christmas and was just wallowing in misery. She'd been here less than a year. On her return to HK in January she was jetlagged, missing her friends & family and would sit posting on Facebook in the early hours of the morning how unhappy she was and moaning about HK.
    What didn't help were the friends back in England who pretty much begged her to come back. She ignored invitations from her friends here who really tried to get her out and cheer her up. Anyway, claiming her husband's company wanted him back in the UK, they had moved back to the UK by Easter, I didn't even get a goodbye from her.
    It was a real shame, if she had just let herself get out of that mindset I am convinced she'd be having a ball. (convinced because I'm sure a lot of us have moments where we'd just jack it all in and go, but we get past it)

Molie, carang and bookblogger like this.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast