Like Tree14Likes

Amazon's E-Ink Kindle Sales May Have Been A Disaster Last Quarter

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by br111an:
    I don't like shopping in reality and online. Do any versions of the Kindle allow you to read PDF files? Do any versions of the Kindle get too hot to hold - after all there must be a reason they call it the Kindle. I would have thought e-ink would stay cool but I wonder if hot processors and discharging cells make it a little uncomfortable in your hand.
    I have the Asus DR900 9" Sipix touch screen ebook reader and it really doesn't get hot and like a Kindle or a Nook or a Kobo there is very little processing that goes on so no reason for it to get hot.

Although a 9" screeen is better at reading PDF format Epub is now the industry norm for ebooks (except amazon).

The Asus allows RSS feeds so not only is it a book reader all my favorite news articles are on it also.

Last edited by East_coast; 08-05-2012 at 01:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Creative83:
    That... sounds like something that would be put in an iphone/ipad app.
    Why do you think a Ipad app? It could easily apply to an ebook reader.

Quote Originally Posted by Creative83:
    I think eink reader's potential lies in actually having multiple pages with touch screen feature. Ie. having the front page as the interface. When you select the book of choice, a good 30-50 pages will be shown (with the title page in the front screen) so that it can be 'flip'able.

As of current, and in the last couple of years, eink has merely been a fad for light readers.
    I guess you haven't used a touch screen eink reader. The refresh is a little slow but you get used to that in 5 mins just pressing next page with 5 words to go.
    Last edited by East_coast; 08-05-2012 at 01:33 AM.

I don't like shopping in reality and online. Do any versions of the Kindle allow you to read PDF files? Do any versions of the Kindle get too hot to hold - after all there must be a reason they call it the Kindle. I would have thought e-ink would stay cool but I wonder if hot processors and discharging cells make it a little uncomfortable in your hand.
    You've never actually seen or held an e-reader, have you?

Original Post Deleted
    Unfortunately while DeletedUser is annoying he is right on this. E-ink and e-readers are anything but a fad. Just look around. You see people reading them everywhere that you see people reading books - on trains, planes, in their offices, on the beach, by the pool .....

It's true that e-books are still horrible for some types of books. I'm currently abroad using a travel guide on my B&N Nook and it's impossible to toggle between a description of something on one page and a map showing where it is on a different page. With an old fashioned book, it would take a second to retrieve the desired data by sticking one finger on the page with the map and another on the page of the description.

I think I would have problems retaining info if using an e-book version of a textbook, but then again, I'm old enough to have purchased vinyl and cassettes. Perhaps younger folks who have grown up with an LCD inches from their faces at all times will have no problems.

Last edited by huja; 08-05-2012 at 11:25 AM.
    TheBrit and bookblogger like this.

hot products

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    You've never actually seen or held an e-reader, have you?
    Actually, I had a no-name Android tablet that did get very hot. I gave it away.

I rest my case. You have never held an e-reader using e-ink.
    hello_there likes this.

Not understanding the concept of reading is a concern.

Perhaps it just needs putting into context for you with parralels between the old world and the new world

Old word New World Used for
    Book Ereader Reading long texts
    Newspaper (Broadsheet) Ereader Reading long articles with charts
    Newspaper (Tabloid) Tablet Reading short articles with pictures
    Magazine Tablet Browsing light content with lots of pictures
    Calculator MS Excel For calculating things
    Typewriter MS Word For writing things
    Overhead projector MS Powerpoint For presenting things
    etc

As you can see an ereader is not a replacement for a tablet computer.
    MovingIn07 and hello_there like this.

LMAO. Nice post East_coast. I think the problem is that the other guy doesn't actually realize that his android is not an ereader (i.e. he has no idea what an ereader actually is). Or what e-ink is. You can, for example, switch OFF your e-reader and the e-ink stays on the page. It doesn't need electricity at all to stay on the page (something I tried to explain to an airline stewardess once, she was pretty thick too).

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    something I tried to explain to an airline stewardess once,
    I have probably had that conversation 20 times in the last year. I don't think it is a lack of intelligence it is just they don't have time to understand and safety must come first.