Like Tree146Likes

British man tried to rape a Chinese woman in Beijing and got beaten up.

Closed Thread
Page 8 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 16 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Char Siu King:
    Assuming a) the video is real and b) he really did rape the girl or even tried to rape the girl, I don't see how someone could feel any amount of sympathy for the guy. He deserves a lot worse than getting kicked.
    Not the point me thinks. Firstly he was already out / defensless by then and secondly most people won't know if he really did what he is accused of, all you need is someone to yell "The foreigner tried to rape a local woman" and the mob will turn into judge and executioner in no time.
    If such an accusation is actually true or not will not be of their concern, and afterwards it will be too late. Ever heard of anyone that was part of the mob who felt remorse and apologized when it turned out things weren't as they appeared?

If he did rape or attempt to rape the girl he deserves a good beating but since in most cases people can't know for sure (until his guilt is established by due process) I side with Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by Raccon:
    Not the point me thinks. Firstly he was already out / defensless by then and secondly most people won't know if he really did what he is accused of, all you need is someone to yell "The foreigner tried to rape a local woman" and the mob will turn into judge and executioner in no time.
    If such an accusation is actually true or not will not be of their concern, and afterwards it will be too late. Ever heard of anyone that was part of the mob who felt remorse and apologized when it turned out things weren't as they appeared?

If he did rape or attempt to rape the girl he deserves a good beating but since in most cases people can't know for sure (until his guilt is established by due process) I side with Alan.
    I repeat - assuming a) the video is real and b) he really did rape the girl or even tried to rape the girl , he deserves a good beating. Maybe even a few good kicks when he is uncoscious.
    zzsp23 likes this.

I repeat - assuming a) the video is real and b) he really did rape the girl or even tried to rape the girl , he deserves a good beating. Maybe even a few good kicks when he is uncoscious.
    Exactly! It's an assumption, nothing else. People should be punished AFTER they have been found guilty by a court of law, NOT before. This is the point being made.

The guy hasn't been found guilty of anything at this moment in time, yet a random member of tUhe public is dishing out a very severe punishment beating.

Do you think it's ok for members of the public to decide guilt or innocence, and worse still decide what's an appropriate punishment? In this case a very violent punishment.
    Last edited by Alan Partridge; 12-05-2012 at 11:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Partridge:
    Exactly! It's an assumption, nothing else. People should be punished AFTER they have been found guilty by a court of law, NOT before. This is the point being made.

The guy hasn't been found guilty of anything at this moment in time, yet a random member of tUhe public is dishing out a very severe punishment beating.

Do you think it's ok for members of the public to decide guilt or innocence, and worse still decide what's an appropriate punishment? In this case a very violent punishment.
    Well of course if you are a white Neighbourhood Watch bloke and the other bloke is black then you can kill him, that's fine. Agree with the point you are making though.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Well of course if you are a white Neighbourhood Watch bloke and the other bloke is black then you can kill him, that's fine. Agree with the point you are making though.
    Or, if you're a white neighbourhood watch guy and you kill a black guy legally, you might get arrested later under public pressure rather than law and fact.....cuts both ways Hull..

Quote Originally Posted by bryant.english:
    Or, if you're a white neighbourhood watch guy and you kill a black guy legally, you might get arrested later under public pressure rather than law and fact.....cuts both ways Hull..
    err... would you please explain how did you "kill a black guy" legally under normal circumstances except maybe during war time? Not familiar with Trayvon Martin Case.

F.A.O. YCC:

Not legally of course, but I believe bryant.english feels that George Zimmermann should be charged with (voluntary) manslaughter (motive being self-defence), which still carries a conviction and a possible lengthy prison sentence for a guilty verdict, rather than second-degree murder, which is a much more serious charge.

Last edited by Dreadnought; 12-05-2012 at 04:57 PM.
    bryant.english likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by YCC:
    err... would you please explain how did you "kill a black guy" legally under normal circumstances except maybe during war time? Not familiar with Trayvon Martin Case.
    Please gather your thoughts and try very hard to think clearly before typing. It's imposiible for me to answer this 'question'....

1.) I've never kiled any guy, black or otherwise.
    2.) There are many circumstances outside of war where it's legal for some people to kill black guys or white guys, or girls for that matter......
    3.) Are you asking me if I'm familiar with Trayvon Martin or stating that you're not?

To be honest, on an issue like this, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want to get into it with you, I can see it's already a bit of a muddle...

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Which country are we talking about? At least in the US, guys in Neighborhood Watch are just civilians. They are only supposed to observe. The recent incident in Sanford, Florida where Neighborhood Watch block captain George Zimmerman shot and killed Trayvon Martin is actually out of the ordinary, if not plain wrong. It was reported that he was specifically told by 911 not to engage, but he acted out on his own.

The Neighborhood Watch captain in my condo community in the US only forwards email from the PD to the community, just like most block captains around the US. Neighborhood Watch programs are information exchange first; boots on the grounds patrol is actually not that common as far as I know. They are specifically told by the police not to engage.

Read in context - your view in the last sentence is the one I took issue with: Deserving a good beating when guilty is one thing, being kicked when unconscious is unfair and cowardly.
    ClueMinus and Alan Partridge like this.

Closed Thread
Page 8 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 16 ... LastLast