Like Tree141Likes

living on The Peak

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ClueMinus:
    Problems with living in the Peak area:

1. Most homes are not accessible by public transit, so you will either need a car, or take long walks every day just to get home. This aspect is worse than Discovery Bay. Those walks can take up to 15-25 minutes one way, not counting the time spent waiting for a bus or a mini bus.
    2. Traffic is pretty bad especially during rush hours. It's also pretty bad with all the cars dropping off and picking up kids around the two schools.
    3. Gone are the years where this is an exclusive neighborhood with friendly drivers, especially not the bus drives and mini bus drivers. Everybody is tense and speeding, which makes you wonder why you're here in the first place.
    4. The aftermath of T8 or above is usually pretty bad. Downed branches and trees everywhere. It's pretty miserable if you don't have a car.
    5. Most time of the year it's foggy and moist. You need year round A/C and/or good dehumidifiers. When it's sunny chances are you're still living in a mist of smog.
    6. Mini bus is often full, and sometimes even the bus. If you don't live close to the terminus, you'd be standing in the fog getting all wet from the moisture, and one mini bus after another would just wave at you and keep going. Same for the Peak Tram.
    7. Loud tourists and workers servicing the tourists sharing your ride on public transit, day in and day out, making the buses and trams standing room only and the lines are always long.
    8. Just like the rest of HK, construction work never ends.
    9. Sections of the roads are not pedestrian friendly. If you just want to walk your dog, chances are you need to keep the dog on a short leash and constantly be on the look out for traffic.
    10. No easy access to public hospitals in case of emergencies. Matilda International Hospital is the only hospital and it charges you an arm and a leg for anything.
    11. No more neighborhood shops for anything. You'll be dealing with the chain stores. Even if you can live without the charm of mom and pop stores, no competition means high prices. Also, whatever is not available from these chain stores, you'll have to go to Central or something.
    12. High rent.
    Most of these problems are applicable to most parts of HK and in no way exclusive to the Peak. Others are not real issues for Peak residents. You're right, shopping options are limited, but that is a trade off for living away from the crowds. Shopping options are also limited in Repulse Bay, Stanley, Parkview, etc and many expats live quite happily in all these areas. Most tourism around the Peak is a concentrated area and other than a bit of traffic has a very minimal effect on anyone I know who lives there. Also, some of your observations are just wrong. For example, Queen Mary, a very well equipped public hospital, is just across the street from Matilda.

OP: if you have the budget for the Peak you will be fine. It is quiet in the evenings and on clear days the views are beautiful. You are correct that there is often a lovely breeze up there. It is a beautiful place to live. However, as many of the homes are older make sure that the place you pick is well maintained. We have had friends that had issues with leaky windows that needed to be replaced. But, poorly maintained properties are an issue everywhere in HK. The crowds of Peak tourists are concentrated around the Galleria and most are there during the day, living at the Peak your contact with them will be limited if you want to avoid the, its easy. A few observations of others are spot on, it is often misty/ smoggy and the traffic is bad. But, traffic is bad almost everywhere in HK. The humidity is easily dealt with inside with the AC or a dehumidifier or two, big deal.

If you value air quality, a view and a breeze and want to stay on HK island, also look at Mt. Butler, parts of Pokfulam, Parkview, Jardines Lookout.
    tantrum likes this.

In summary, The Peak is indeed a hill and does indeed therefore have occasional breezes. However, if that is your only criteria, it should be pointed out that other more economical breezy hills (and other breezy geographical features) are available.

Not to mention......fans.

OP, if you consider the Peak, we can assume you have money so this is not an issue of buses, air conditioning or petty things like that.

Now the peak, is a very nice place to live (forget the traffic issue some are raising, you get them pretty much everywhere: crossing the Eastern tunnel is an issue, coming from Stanley - Repulse Bay at peak hour is an issue...like everywhere, as long as you avoid peak hour you are perfectly fine.

As for humidity...I also assume that money isn't an issue for you and that running a non noisy air conditioner all day long shouldn't be a problem too.

All in all, the Peak is a good choice if you have plenty of money.

The truth is most posters on here do not have the $ it takes to live there and will always highlight the -ive side of it to feel better about the fact that they can't live there.

dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hello_there:
    ...For example, Queen Mary, a very well equipped public hospital, is just across the street from Matilda...
    I think you will find that there is quite a bit of distance (and difference in elevation) between Matilda International Hospital and Queen Mary Hospital! Not quite across the street from each other!
    carang likes this.

We had a thread a while back about where to live if money was no object (cant find it now), but I remain resolute : I would not live at the peak nor any other location where there was only a single lane road in and out.
    There are other areas/building just as luxurious but far more convenient to be in. My order of preference would be:
    MtButler
    Shouson Hill
    Happy Valley

ClueMinus, Gweilo86 and pandancake like this.

Original Post Deleted
    Did you mean this figuratively? If not, across which street from Matilda is Queen Mary Hospital?
    Last edited by ClueMinus; 15-05-2012 at 09:42 AM.

wow- this place is feisty!

We are impressed by the prompt and passionate responses and everyone's interest in a healthy debate! I'm looking forward to hosting some dinner parties here!

We've been here a few days and have made several return trips from Central to the Peak. One thing I've learned about commuting from the peak - if you can get to the Tram (we are looking at something quite close to the Galleria), it is a lovely way to get up and down - and in 6 minutes. With a monthly pass, you go to the front of the line. And there are express minibuses as well as the 15. Taxis are everywhere. The traffic didn't seem to get bad until you hit mid-levels.

We are buying our dehumidifiers, writing off our artwork, and moving in!

In seriousness - thank you all for your information and opinions. I am still a bit nervous about air quality, but the better places (southside, etc) are too far for me to commute to work.

You're commuting with the PeakTram...now, thats kewl
    I still think MtButler would have been "better" overall but the PeakTram is an added bonus that I had not thought about...

Last edited by HowardCoombs; 15-05-2012 at 09:44 AM.
    Gweilo86 likes this.

another question....

how important/attractive is having a bit of outdoor space? is it just too hot or misty to use it usually? or is it something that one should be willing to pay a bit more for?

wow - i must have had some pretty funky chow fan... thought i rode the tram and in taxies several times...

TheBrit and Fiona in HKG like this.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast