Like Tree73Likes

Groceries!

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by dear giant:
    Just show me anything even remotely equivalent to different, multiple producers adding powdered/slurried plastic to large quantities of milk intentionally to cheat rudimentary quality controls. Repeatedly. After crackdowns.

You can't.
    I can and already did. Mad cow disease. Caused by feeding ground-up sheep, some infected with a related disease, to cattle because it was cheap.

There you go. Dubious profit motive, no relation to china, big health concern.
    dear giant likes this.

Just show me anything even remotely equivalent to different, multiple producers adding powdered/slurried plastic to large quantities of milk intentionally to cheat rudimentary quality controls. Repeatedly. After crackdowns.

You can't.
    You do know that most brit and french cant donate blood in HK and that the reason is mad cow disease?

Granted China has lots of flaws and food CAN be suspect, it's the same is most countries (sadly).

Recall the latest MacDo incident in the US or UK (can't recall which one), when Jamie Oliver highlighted quite a few "issues"....

The problem is greed and this problem is everywhere, not just China or HK.
    We believe it's better in the west (because this is a system we know better and are more comfortable with), yet a gvt who is able to lie about WMD is a gvt able to lie about anything.

So by that measure you better check everything.

Yeah, like, Jack in the Box

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    Granted China has lots of flaws and food CAN be suspect, it's the same is most countries (sadly).
    Here is a report out today from a "civilized" country: The Most Contaminated Fruits And Vegetables - Business Insider

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    Here is a report out today from a "civilized" country: The Most Contaminated Fruits And Vegetables - Business Insider
    Did you actually rtfa? I did and it seems as though you googled for something about pesticides on veggies in the developed world and then copied and pasted without actually checking to see whether it even remotely supported your position of "the developed world is just as bad as this place [even if that's not actually true...]!"

From the article:

To compile their "shopper's guide to pesticides in produce," researchers analyzed 10 years of USDA and Food and Drug Administration pesticide residue tests on foods that had been washed and peeled.

According to the report, in 2010, 68 percent of food samples still had detectable pesticide residue.
    That's "detectable residue" of non-banned pesticides, which is a far cry from veggies infused with heavy metals and infused and coated with banned pesticides and/or pesticides not yet banned but at levels far in excess of what's regarded as safe.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    I can and already did. Mad cow disease. Caused by feeding ground-up sheep, some infected with a related disease, to cattle because it was cheap.

There you go. Dubious profit motive, no relation to china, big health concern.
    Feeding ground-up sick sheep to cows was certainly nothing to be proud of but (1.) the people doing it stopped doing it when the connection was made w/BSE and (2.) feeding crap food to domestic animals is a far cry from adding powdered plastic to human food near the last step int he production process to circumvent quality controls.

China executed some folks for adding plastic to milk already and it's still a whack-a-mole recurring problem.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    Cmon Mat, its not just commies; lets call a spade a spade. There are a few people who hold very negative opinions about Hong Kong and try to inject that negativity into practically every single Hong Kong related thread. A reminder of the not too distant past where such individuals opined:
    - Hong Kong weather sucks
    - Hong Kong air sucks
    - Hong Kong&Chinese culture is flawed
    - Hong Kong is inferior to the west
    - Hong Kong police hide the truth
    - Hong Kong hospitals are horrible
    - Hong Kong food supplies are suspect
    - Hong Kong buildings are a disaster
    - Hong Kong economy will implode soon
    - One should leave Hong Kong because only in the West can one get well educated
    - Hong Kong born parents should not bring their kids here to live
    - McDonalds tastes better than Cantonese food
    Am I missing any?
    So the air is great? The buildings are well-made?

You've put your roots down here and sunk everything into HK. The air, the culture, crumbly buildings, etc. don't bother you. You're like a duck in water. Awesome for you. ... until you read something critical of HK and reality begins to intrude again. Then, you get angry and post links to videos produced by crackpot Ron Paul supporters who say that China is rising and links to articles decrying "detectable pesticide residues" and hope that we're all willing to pretend along with you that that's even a little bit comparable to what's in/on a lot of the stuff that you can buy at local markets.

The problem, I guess, for you is that I'm not into playing pretend. I'm a member of the reality-based community.

Did you actually rtfa? I did and it seems as though you googled for something about pesticides on veggies in the developed world and then copied and pasted without actually checking to see whether it even remotely supported your position of "the developed world is just as bad as this place [even if that's not actually true...]!"
    Nahh, why would I bother searching for such things, i've got better ways to spend my time.
    BusinessInsider is something I read daily and I noticed it yesterday as a new article posted and recalled this thread so I put it up for your amusement.

It supported Mat's quote which I attached it to...

So the air is great? The buildings are well-made?
    Air is alright and getting better. Some buildings are great and some are not. But thats irrelevant for the discussion at hand which is back to your miserable little life which you pretend to be peaches and cream.
    You've put your roots down here and sunk everything into HK. The air, the culture, crumbly buildings, etc. don't bother you.
    Luckily I have the freedom to leave anytime but I actually like it here so not only do they not bother me, I actually enjoy the place and as mentioned before, I'm happy here.

You're like a duck in water. Awesome for you. ... until you read something critical of HK and reality begins to intrude again. Then, you get angry and post links to videos produced by crackpot Ron Paul supporters who say that China is rising and links to articles decrying "detectable pesticide residues" and hope that we're all willing to pretend along with you that that's even a little bit comparable to what's in/on a lot of the stuff that you can buy at local markets.The problem, I guess, for you is that I'm not into playing pretend. I'm a member of the reality-based community.
    I read many things critical of Hong Kong and take them in stride. The papers and blogs are full of critical articles; doesn't bother me one bit.

One thing that does is you, your misery and negativity; no one is expecting you to pretend but when you go off the deep end:
    - telling parents not to bring their Chinese kids to Hong Kong
    - telling people that McDonalds provides better taste than local cuisine
    - telling newcomers that government is allowing the public to get poisoned
    I cant help but ridicule you and insert a dose of sanity into the discussion.

Welcome back, I though misery had left the building for good

lol.......

.....and so we enter day four of DG Vs HC....

Last edited by bryant.english; 21-06-2012 at 07:39 AM.

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast