Like Tree51Likes

Still in love w Expats

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    So insulting someone's race is not OK but insulting their culture makes it alright like you regularly do all with a single stroke. You're a winner.
    Nobody can change their race but they can change their behavior, even if they've been conditioned to behave in certain ways by their environment.

So yes, racism is wrong but it's OK to point out unacceptable and unpleasant behavior.

Anti-obesity (or anti-smoking for example) programs in the USA shouldn't be discontinued because they make fatties and Americans generally feel ashamed any more than the HK government should stop running PSAs reminding people here to observe rudimentary hygiene precautions like covering their mouths when they cough and washing their hands regularly.

By your insane logic, the HK government is being despicable by running the cute, moderately creative McDull-themed cartoon PSAs reminding people/shops not to cover the sidewalk with their crap, use it as restaurant seating areas, oil-changing stations, etc. Those commercials remind people that the (1.) sidewalks here are often impassable b/c of people's selfish and thoughtless behavior and (2.) it's a widespread problem or else the govt wouldn't have expended resources producing and airing the commercials. Bad HK govt! They're making HK people feel sad!

Or is it OK for the HK govt to speak truth to HK people because, presumably the people running the govt are now all HK Chinese ... but that I should keep my trap shut b/c I'm white? That would be racism on your part.
    Last edited by dear giant; 10-07-2012 at 05:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dear giant:
    Nobody can change their race but they can change their behavior, even if they've been conditioned to behave in certain ways by their environment. So yes, racism is wrong but it's OK to point out unacceptable and unpleasant behavior.
    So any action that is acceptable and normal wihtin a community (eg potato-sack-shaped dresses) is not OK if it doesnt fit into your norm.
    Shall we start criticizing Sikhs and their turbans? How about indian ladies and Saris. Would that be alright in your book? These are cultural after all...

but that I should keep my trap shut b/c I'm white? That would be racism on your part.
    Of course not, keep talking and keep making yourself looking more and more foolish. After all, you are superior, you know best. All hail DG

Can we go back to the fact that we are all loved by millions of HK women....

How awesome is that.

HK Ladies my number is 92** ****

jw1701 and climber07 like this.

don't come to blows over an article in the standard

Watercooler likes this.

The ratio of chinese to foreigner is obviously high so it's not hard to find HK ladies that are interested in a foreigner since competition is limited however it certainly doesn't mean most of them want to meet an expat.There are also plenty(I would say the majority) of HK chinese ladies who wouldn't want to marry outside their culture.

People's experience of particular groups is also often tainted by their own actions as well as the places they frequent.

There are those who see expats as boorish, loud alcoholics who hang out drinking in Wanchai and LKF and the only reason they are in HK is because they couldn't hack it in their own countries. The game of stupid stereotypes is easily played...

dear giant likes this.

Gilles

But it's true, HK is full of FILTH.
    Look at some of the badly behaved scumbags in lkf on a weekend

Brooklynexpat likes this.

I wouldn't know but I'm sure you are very familiar with it

Quote Originally Posted by gilleshk:
    I wouldn't know but I'm sure you are very familiar with it
    Of course I'm familiar with the scene.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:

Of course not, keep talking and keep making yourself looking more and more foolish. After all, you are superior, you know best. All hail DG
    I would'nt go calling other people foolish, HC, you aren't exactly the smartest guy on geoexpat either (to put it kindly ). Hehehe (kidding).

Interesting how the standard can stir things up, maybe the Standard isn't as stupid as I thought. Maybe from propaganda retarded mouthpiece to propaganda and slightly less retarded mouthpiece. Hahaha.
    Last edited by Watercooler; 10-07-2012 at 07:20 PM.
    dear giant and Brooklynexpat like this.

Damit, where did I leave that large bottle of bleach, time to become a Gweilo

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast