Like Tree107Likes

Taxi driver rip off

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    What is wrong with you people, is it the weather or something?

Yes, Jimbo did get screwed over by the cabbie, but the cabbie was well within the law not to accept the $500. He SHOULD entertain other solutions, but he does not have to.

The law is quite freaking clear on this point, a cabbie will not be breaking the law if he doesn't accept HK$500 notes. At the end of the day it is the passenger's responsibility to ensure they have enough change under HK$500. END OF STORY.

I read through the doc you linked - it was very useful, thanks. But it seemed to say pretty clearly that if Jimbo asked to be taken to the 7-11 to change his note, he should have been taken there (and pay for the extra 30m or whatever) so I don't think you can say the cabbie was in the right because he clearly was not.

I had a similar problem with a cabbie a few years back arriving back in Hk after an overseas trip. I had no HK money on me and drew out at the airport - getting 500 bills (as you do, from many ATMs!). The fare was about 250 and it seemed incredibly unreasonable not to give change from 500 for such a large fare, particularly from the airport. How many overseas visitors have been caught out like that, do you wonder? It would seem that a better rule would be no 500 notes for fares under 100, but not a blanket ban. Or perhaps exceptions for the airport. In any event, the rules are pretty bizarre. If you carry legal tender, you expect to be able to pay with it!
    dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jayinhongkong:
    I'm proud to say my Tagalog and knowledge of Manila streets now mean I never get ripped off.
    Now THAT is impressive. I know the Manila streets, and the costs of most journeys, AND always carry small change and I still manage to get ripped off (but not as badly as most tourists).

Quote Originally Posted by dear giant:
    Jimbo wasn't being stupid.

Someone (the driver) put him in a bizarre and adrenaline-pumping/fight-or-flight situation, was likely shouting and waving his arms around, had locked him in his vehicle, etc.

Assuming that Jimbo doesn't speak Canto and that he's a generally law-abiding person who doesn't thrill at the prospect of getting involved in a legal tangle with a local and cops who likely will not even be able to understand his (Jimbo's) side of the story and that it would be his word against the driver's, that Jimbo is not yet a permanent resident and might conceivably be worried about some minor incident mushrooming and potentially affecting his visa/employment, I can 100% see giving that piece of human garbage cabbie the $100 to get out of that situation.
    I actually think Jimbo did the right thing. I tend to do the opposite and get into disputes and other tangles - usually all that happens is I get stressed and waste heaps of my own time. I'm very impressed by anyone who is capable of not fighting back when faced with such a rip-off! Although I do think he should have taken the taxi's number and then reported him. I've certainly done that before. They take it VERY seriously and he would have been done for it.
    dear giant likes this.

C'mon 100 HKD for jimbo, it's like 1 cent for us common mortals.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    Some of you seem to forget

1. I asked him to take me to an ATM where I can get $100
    2. We stopped within spitting distance of a 7-11 where I could step out and get change

Both options he refused.
    And that puts the driver at fault. It seems some people here have only read the part of the guidelines that suit the arguments they want to have, but see 7.d. of the Guide to Taxi Services linked earlier. As long as the passenger agrees to pay the additional fare the driver should have taken you to anywhere you like for getting the change, and that obviously includes stepping out of the cab.
    That being said I would ask the driver to keep the meter running or offer him some extra for the waiting (if he refused to keep the meter running).

In defense of taxi drivers regarding rejecting the 500 note (according to the guidelines):
    7.c. implies that the driver can still refuse 500 or 1000 even he has change, 9.c. is quite clear that the passenger should not use 500 or 1000 notes. That the driver should entertain the request for change as per 7.a. is a bit open to interpretation due to the 'as far as possible' part, but considering 7.c. and 9.c. I believe the driver is right to reject 500 or 1000 notes even he 'feels' like it.
    However as mentioned above he must take the passenger to a place where the passenger can obtain change, assuming the passenger requested or agreed to such.

I would also consider this a mutual agreement as per 7.f.; in jimbo's case the driver obviously wasn't willing to come to a such an agreement and insisted on ripping him off. The driver is also guilty of violating parts of 8.g.

Personally I would have reported the driver if he had locked me in (false imprisonment or whatever it's called in legal speak).

And that humongous rip off amounts to a whopping 10USD which is probably less than one would pay in most western cities for a taxi... Tempest in a tea pot. Oh yeah, I forget, it's a matter of principles

Quote Originally Posted by gilleshk:
    And that humongous rip off amounts to a whopping 10USD which is probably less than one would pay in most western cities for a taxi... Tempest in a tea pot. Oh yeah, I forget, it's a matter of principles
    Some of us think that principles are important. If it had not been Jimbo but a poor local, would you still think it such a trivial amount?

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Some of us think that principles are important. If it had not been Jimbo but a poor local, would you still think it such a trivial amount?

Poor locals, don't take taxis

(yes yes yes we get the point, I am jsut joking la...)

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Exactly

Gilles, Would you feel the same if the taxi driver did the same to your wife?
    I doubt it.
    dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    Exactly

Gilles, Would you feel the same if the taxi driver did the same to your wife?
    I doubt it.
    Gilles has no wife, he is married to his bicycle.

wtbhotia and jimbo like this.

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast