Like Tree107Likes

Taxi driver rip off

Closed Thread
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    Maybe the taxi driver mistook Jimbo for a visiting Sumo, and thought he was good for the $100.00 ?

Just sayin.....lol

Sent from my GT-I9100 using GeoClicks Mobile
    Jimbo paid FAT tax Waahaa
    Skyhook and Mat like this.

Please come to my side of town. Did you know that some areas charge a toll for walking.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Some of us think that principles are important. If it had not been Jimbo but a poor local, would you still think it such a trivial amount?
    Yeah - and a poor local would not have paid up like Jimbo did either...

If you can't afford $100 then you shouldn't be taking taxis... In any case, he made the expedient choice to pay instead of other options.

The cabbie worked within the rules and the customer agreed to pay...

Quote Originally Posted by gilleshk:
    If you can't afford $100 then you shouldn't be taking taxis... In any case, he made the expedient choice to pay instead of other options.

Who can't afford $100?

Quote Originally Posted by gilleshk:
    No, the driver didn't work within the rules. Else show me where the driver is allowed to
    a) over-charge
    b) refuse taking a passenger to any destination (place for changing money)
    c) lock a passenger in his taxi in case of a dispute over the fare or change
    dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    Jumbo paid FAT tax Waahaa
    lol.......

Quote Originally Posted by booth:
    Please come to my side of town. Did you know that some areas charge a toll for walking.

Lucky for you Geoexpat does not charge a toll for trolling.
    bookblogger likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by audiot:
    I wasnt going to go there!

( I saw it and thought wow thats a taxi rip off story! )

obviously from his SHek O retreat ...
    I think it was from my quote, which is Caine road Midlevels to the airport, which is around 4375 depending on traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by Raccon:
    And that puts the driver at fault. It seems some people here have only read the part of the guidelines that suit the arguments they want to have, but see 7.d. of the Guide to Taxi Services linked earlier. As long as the passenger agrees to pay the additional fare the driver should have taken you to anywhere you like for getting the change, and that obviously includes stepping out of the cab.
    That being said I would ask the driver to keep the meter running or offer him some extra for the waiting (if he refused to keep the meter running).

In defense of taxi drivers regarding rejecting the 500 note (according to the guidelines):
    7.c. implies that the driver can still refuse 500 or 1000 even he has change, 9.c. is quite clear that the passenger should not use 500 or 1000 notes. That the driver should entertain the request for change as per 7.a. is a bit open to interpretation due to the 'as far as possible' part, but considering 7.c. and 9.c. I believe the driver is right to reject 500 or 1000 notes even he 'feels' like it.
    However as mentioned above he must take the passenger to a place where the passenger can obtain change, assuming the passenger requested or agreed to such.

I would also consider this a mutual agreement as per 7.f.; in jimbo's case the driver obviously wasn't willing to come to a such an agreement and insisted on ripping him off. The driver is also guilty of violating parts of 8.g.

Personally I would have reported the driver if he had locked me in (false imprisonment or whatever it's called in legal speak).
    I do not believe those Guide for Taxi services for Taxis carry the force of law. If I take a look at it from a strictly legal perspective, the fact that he has no change is his problem, and only his. You are offering to pay for services rendered with legal Hong Kong tender. If he took more, then he is committing a theft, because he is taking more money for his services, which is dictated by law. Otherwise, taxi driver's would be calling out prices all the time. You must pay what the meeter reads only.