Quick question about Stanley area

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick question about Stanley area

Hi all,
    I'm new. I can see that there are a million threads on here asking "Where should I live?" so I'll make mine simple:

Are there some shops, supermarkets or fresh markets that we can do that within easy walking distance of apartment buildings in the Stanley peninsula area?

Sorry if this is a dumb question. Never been to HK, just moving there and want to make sure we can get our fresh daily veggies!

thanks
    gm

depends on where you live in stanley but if you cannot walk you are only a short mini bus ride away

That's a start, thanks Alby!

Would you say there are quite a few supermarkets or markets in the area, then? Or only one or two we should be aiming for?

a couple supermarkets, a pharmacy, a market

why Stanley?

Stanley has some supermarkets, restaurants and regular bus services that could take you to any main areas in HK, so it's convenient enough. Great views and quite quiet compared to many other places in HK Island. May I ask why you chose to stay in Stanley?

Sounds good so far -- thanks so much!
    Anybody that has addresses I could check on google maps, or even names of markets I could google, would truly be awesome!

As for why Stanley, basically we had little choice; apparently my company previously placed a foreigner there and he loved it, so they've decided that's where foreigners should live. Any feedback or advice would be welcome!

thanks you guys....
    gm

Stanley Plaza has a number of shops, a Starbucks, a McDonalds, some more decent restaurants, etc. in addition to a supermarket, called Taste. Map link below:

Hong Kong Housing Authority and Housing Department - Stanley Plaza

Last edited by hello_there; 24-03-2008 at 09:01 AM.

As mentioned, there is a Taste in Stanley Plaza. Taste is the upmarket branch of Park 'n Shop. Very nice.

Rumor has it the new supermarket due to open on the Repulse Bay Beach this spring will also be a Taste.

Thanks!

To everybody who replied to this post:
    Thanks!

Stanley sounds great and I can't wait to get there.

Quote Originally Posted by gatormama:

Stanley sounds great and I can't wait to get there.
    Stanley is indeed quite nice but it's not without disadvantages.

The commute to Central starts to edge over the 30 minute mark during peak times. This was in fact the main reason why we never seriously considered Stanley. Even the next closest place, Repulse Bay, is a good 10-15 minutes closer to downtown. OF course, if you don't mind the commute time you're fine.

Also the central parts of Stanley are often overrun by tourists and shoppers going to the market.

Not saying you shouldn't go live there. Just that like any other place, it has it's drawbacks.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast