visa for pregnant G/F refused

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

I'm with Carang. I'd try and see if a friend is willing to help me out. Doesn't hurt to ask.

Oh dear - a very messy situation for all concerned.

I have to say I agree with PDLM's comment but that is a bit late in the day now so you have to think of a way forward.

I am not one to recommend remarriage (having been in a rotten one myself and having my two children abducted out of HK) but if you really love this girl maybe the best thing to do is to marry her as soon as you get your divorce through.
    If your current wife takes you to the cleaners then so be it. Take it like a man on the chin and face up to your responsibilities.

Why is you divorce taking so long? If you have a lawyer tell him that you want a decree absolute and will settle all financial matters later by way of a Consent Order.

This divorce and your new lady's pregnancy is going to cost you a lot of money my friend for a very long time to come. Your situation is all too common among middle-aged gweilos in HK going through divorce. By all means have a girl-friend or have fun but to do what you did is just f*****g stupid. This is HK and you need to be careful.

Best advice I can give you is to tell your lawyer (I assume you have one) to talk to your wife's lawyer and make your ex-to-be an offer she cannot refuse in order to bring this matter to a speedy conclusion and then marry your gf and do the honorable thing.

Please God that your gf is single and not married because then you really are well and truly f****d.

You can do it but it is going to hurt. I wish you luck. I am sorry if this post seems harsh - it's meant to be.

What the hell was wrong with going to Neptune or Fenwick in your situation rather than getting emotionally involved with another girl? Think about it. That option would have been far cheaper...

Quote Originally Posted by shilo507:
    What the hell was wrong with going to Neptune or Fenwick in your situation rather than getting emotionally involved with another girl? Think about it. That option would have been far cheaper...
    Are the girls in Neptune and Fenwicks immune to love and pregnancy then?

(Not saying I disagree with you, but I think that although almost all of the working girls in HK need the money, many of them are looking for a husband as well.)

Asking a friend to sponsor your girlfriend on a FDH visa would be totally irresponsible. All three of you would be in a big shit if you are caught out trying to manipulate the system, and there is enough data on record about your situation to draw attention. I've been offered $20,000 + on more than one occasion to sign for someone. No dice. It's one hell of a favour to ask.

I'm sure you're too smart to even consider it. Don't get into even a more of a mess, keep it simple. Her having the baby in the Philippines isn't such a bad option after all - you can straighten out the legalities later when the dust has settled.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Are the girls in Neptune and Fenwicks immune to love and pregnancy then?

(Not saying I disagree with you, but I think that although almost all of the working girls in HK need the money, many of them are looking for a husband as well.)
    Indeed. I think you know what I am getting at though. There comes a time in a man's life when he has to get over his first marriage and not rush in to the second. For a guy in Gweilo's situation who wants some female company whilst going through through the trauma of a bitter and protracted divorce a temporary liasion in Wan Chai would almost certainly have been more circumspect than getting his girl friend pregnant whilst he is still married. This is not fair on the girl either and will not exactly endear him to his ex.

Of course you are right - many of the girls in Wan Chai are looking for husbands and money. But they do offer a service of which someone in Gweilo's situation could have availed provided he was honest enough at the beginning to explain that he was not looking for anything serious.

As I see it all Gweilo has done it to make the situation 10 times worse for himself. Out of the mouth of a tiger in to the jaws of a crocodile.

Now who was it who said "the best tme in a man's life is between the end of his first marriage and the beginning of his second marriage - only he doesn't realise it until it's too late..."
    Last edited by shilo507; 02-04-2008 at 11:13 AM. Reason: omitted the word 'divorce' in 1st paragraph of main text

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Gosh I though my response might seem too harsh, then I read shilo's...

The OP wants his cake and eat it too. Sorry no can do. You've lived here for 15 years; you should know the law regarding immigration and dependent visas. The Immigration Dept isn't about to change/bent the rules just because you got your girlfriend up the duff. It doesn't matter what other countries do regarding visas because you are in HK and subject to HK immigration law. Stop throwing a wobbly and get on with realistic planning for the arrival of your child and soon-to-be-wife - both of which will require all your energy, attention and money.

off topic sort of

Girl mate of mine, english not PR just had a kid here with her husband (married here) he's a dependant of her and from the carribean. now do they get a chance of a fast track permant residancy visa cause the kid was born in hong kong. Thought I heard this was the case once?

No they don't. And nor does the kid. Being born in Hong Kong does not confer any particular rights unless you are a Chinese citizen. I guess the child will be a citizen of whatever country its father is, and could also probably get British citizenship by descent.

Last edited by PDLM; 02-04-2008 at 11:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    No they don't. And nor does the kid. Being born in Hong Kong does not confer any particular rights unless you are a Chinese citizen. I guess the child will be a citizen of whatever country its father is, and could also probably get British citizenship by descent.
    Not necessarily. If Gweilo has the Right of abode in Hong Kong and his child is born there, the child will automatically have the Right of abode up until the age of 21. Foreign nationals with the Right of abode in Hong Kong can pass it down to their children only if they were born in Hong Kong. Once the kid reaches the age of 21, he/she will have to reapply for ROA under his own merit after living in the territory for no less than seven years. If he/she doesn't meet the residency requirements, the child will still have the Right to land after the age of 21.

I guess that could be a reason to why they're saying no to another extension.
    Last edited by Aritaurus; 02-04-2008 at 01:18 PM.

In the Lair of the Village Idiot's Apprenctice

Take a trip to Manila
    Get a new passport
    [under a new name]
    You come back and commence formalities to hire a domestic helper.