another hkid questions thread...

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

another hkid questions thread...

sup people, ive been searching and reading other peoples thread about obtaining a hkid card, RTL.

obviously, every persons situate is different, so im gonna post my information and hopefully someone could give me some insight.

father is HK citizen, raised there since the 1940's.
    has a valid HKID card and also a american citizen, but did not relinquish any of his citizenships. also has a chinese citizen card - meaning he can travel back and forth to hk and from without using his u.s passport.

as for me, im just holding a chinese visa on a u.s passport, im applying next week.
    ive read all the basics of this topic, but not sure about how to go about it and whats the percentage i could actually gain from all this.

im going to stay at a hotel, cause i cant rent or buy a place without an HKID card, nor do i have any family in hk cause all of them are in the states.

is it possible to check off 2 catagories to apply for?
    6 and 3 or 4 i dont remember...

Last edited by protocl; 20-04-2008 at 03:59 PM.

If your father was born in Hong Kong, you should be eligble for the right to land which entitles you to live, stay and study in Hong Kong with no restriction. I think you have to apply under category 7 which is for non-chinese citizens who had the right of abode in Hong Kong before 1997. If your father was born in Hong Kong, you should have acquired British Dependent Territory Citizenship (BDTC) by descent and this entitled you to right of abode before the turnover.

Just go to the immigration department in wan chai, talk to one of the immigration officers and they will accept your application, give you a reference number. Within the next couple of weeks , they will send a letter outlining all the documents you need to bring in.

Quote Originally Posted by Aritaurus:
    If your father was born in Hong Kong, you should be eligble for the right to land which entitles you to live, stay and study in Hong Kong with no restriction. I think you have to apply under category 7 which is for non-chinese citizens who had the right of abode in Hong Kong before 1997. If your father was born in Hong Kong, you should have acquired British Dependent Territory Citizenship (BDTC) by descent and this entitled you to right of abode before the turnover.

Just go to the immigration department in wan chai, talk to one of the immigration officers and they will accept your application, give you a reference number. Within the next couple of weeks , they will send a letter outlining all the documents you need to bring in.

thanks for your input, its cause im heading to hk within a few days and i wanna make sure i get all the basics down before i make a fool of myself.

My Father was born in HK and has a HKID but then moved and then got a British Passport.
    I applied for a HKID on thursday at the Wan Chai dept. and the guy behind the counter told me what to tick off on the form, seemed pretty casual about it so I'm not sure on if its correct or not yet -

However i was told now i've sent of photocopies etc of all supporting documents i will hear back and have a meeting with an officer who will go through it all with me and also want to see original copies of the documents.

I'd suggest u bring original copies with u although u will only initially need to send in photocopies.
    U may be fine as long as ur Dads name is on ur birth Certificate.

Quote Originally Posted by killahbad:
    My Father was born in HK and has a HKID but then moved and then got a British Passport.
    I applied for a HKID on thursday at the Wan Chai dept. and the guy behind the counter told me what to tick off on the form, seemed pretty casual about it so I'm not sure on if its correct or not yet -

However i was told now i've sent of photocopies etc of all supporting documents i will hear back and have a meeting with an officer who will go through it all with me and also want to see original copies of the documents.

I'd suggest u bring original copies with u although u will only initially need to send in photocopies.
    U may be fine as long as ur Dads name is on ur birth Certificate.

Yep, that's pretty much exactly what I had to go through to get my HKID. It's pretty straight forward as long you have all the documents they ask for.

After you send in all the photocopies, they will send you a letter letting you know whether you have been approved or not. If you're approved, they will ask you to come in person for an interview to have all the original copies verified. Once that's done, the immigration officer will put an endorsement on your passport saying that you have unconditional stay and you'll get your picture taken and get your temporary HKID on the same day.
    Last edited by Aritaurus; 22-04-2008 at 05:54 AM.

how long did it take from your application to hear back from them via post?

Quote Originally Posted by killahbad:
    how long did it take from your application to hear back from them via post?
    im leaving tomorrow to hk, ill post my results after...

visited the immd office on the 8th floor yesterday, as i asked the quota agent, she asked me: do you have a hk visa?

im like: NO...
    she then stared at me like i was crazy until i told her im applying under my father's hk roa..
    she then told me to drop off that folder with all the applications and copied documents on the 2nd floor...

so, whats next?
    how long is the wait for a reply or a denial?

Quote Originally Posted by protocl:
    visited the immd office on the 8th floor yesterday, as i asked the quota agent, she asked me: do you have a hk visa?

im like: NO...
    she then stared at me like i was crazy until i told her im applying under my father's hk roa..
    she then told me to drop off that folder with all the applications and copied documents on the 2nd floor...

so, whats next?
    how long is the wait for a reply or a denial?

She probably thought you were applying as a foreigner who lived in Hong Kong for seven years for right of abode.

It will probably take another 2-3 weeks before you get a decision. If you're approved, they'll tell you to come in person for an interview and they will ask you to bring all the original copies of the documents. That's what I had to go through when I applied.

I went to the 25th floor and applied in the ROA dept, my Dad was born in HK with HKID and i was told to go up there - Guy was helpful and told me what boxes to tick and stuff. Then i just got everything photocopied on the 4th floor i think and posted it back up at the 25gh

Just waiting for a reply myself - got a little card thru the post last week saying they'd received my app.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast