DB questions

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

DB questions

Hey DB residents, hope you can help with a few questions please

There's no drama getting NOW tv?
    No drama getting broadband?
    Is the Park-n-Shop in DB really more expensive than the others in Kowloon and on the Island?
    Any ideas how much membership is to the Residents Club or Siena Club? Any preferences to which is better?
    How often do the ferries run in morning peak hour to Central?

Mmm, that's all for now. Thank you SO much in advance

1. There is absolutely no problem getting NOW TV - the best bet is to get a combined deal with broadband. Sometimes the PCCW guys roam the Plaza with promotions, you can go into any PCCW shop to get it as well. The closest from DB would be the one in Des Voex Road Cantral.
    2. Not sure about that, but it would not really surprise me. You can get bulk items online from the Parknshop website and only go for the fresh/frozen stuff down to the shop. The saying is: you go into the DB parknshop in a good mood - you get out in a bad mood. You go into the DB parknshop in a bad mood - you get out suizidal.
    3 Membership for the 2 clubs is combined. It is HKD 400.- per month per person, if you want to go to the gym it is HKD 300.- per person on top of it.
    4. The ferry goes every 12 min in the morning rush hour.

Last edited by elle; 22-04-2008 at 10:29 AM.

Thanks Elle, very helpful! Mmm, maybe online shopping is the way to go

in 6 years in db i only ever really had a problem with park'n'shop a handful of times.

there is also a very large TASTE in tung chung, 20 minutes away by bus (i think it might even deliver to db?)

hubby liked the db environment?

I don't think the Discovery Bay Park n Shop is any better or worse than any other in Hong Kong, supermarket shopping in general here, sucks very badly. Watch your stress level rise lol. Shopping in HK is unique, not that i care anymore, I gave up trying to work out why people cant walk straight, why they don't watch where they are going, why they speak so loudly, and funny enough nobody is inspired to get violent toward each other as a result. Most surprising, back home some of the behaviour would get you hurt, especially the HK favourite, line jumping....

Anybody who has ever shopped at a Carrefour in Paris or City Centre Dubai, knows exactly how badly Hong Kong blows, for anybody who actually shops in person. At least shopping in both locations was pleasant, uncrowded and just nice, fun even.

Rule of thumb in our self shopping house hold is( I refuse to get a maid), to never shop on the weekends, because the super market just gets insanely busy, during the week at off peak times is best.

As mumto2 has lived and shopped in Japan, basically HK is the complete opposite when it comes to retail and street side etiquette lol. Anything goes here, and if people walk in front of you, just peel their shoe off with the toe of yours and give them a flat tyre... It will make a frustrating thing fun .

Last edited by Skyhook; 22-04-2008 at 11:37 AM.

Skyhook - You are lucky. We can only shop on weekends and/or after we come back from work after 8pm. There are numerous times when we have just given up and left the full trolley behind.
    But on the positive side the fresh seafood counter at the DB parknshop is amazing.

PMSL! Hey Skyhook I lived in Beijing before Tokyo - so I think I am well trained in supermarket shopping - judo-chop, hey-ya! I had a lady push in front of me inline one day...big mistake...I was pregnant, so even bigger mistake! lol We probably won't be getting a maid either, unless I find a local who wants to do a few hours here and there for me.

I quite enjoy the insanity that is China though and have found Japan to be sometimes a tad sterile...admittedly when we first got here though it was lovely to have people being so polite...

Carang - hubby really liked it. at this stage it looks like we will be heading over in about 5 weeks - gasp - gotta get a move on...

I probably owe half of geo-expat a good aussie bbq for all the help! hubby is a chef...though i have found all aussie men think they are when it comes to the bbq...

I quite like the first thing in the morning supermarket shop, people seem at their least cantankerous...weekends excluded!

Quote Originally Posted by elle:
    Skyhook - You are lucky. We can only shop on weekends and/or after we come back from work after 8pm. There are numerous times when we have just given up and left the full trolley behind.
    But on the positive side the fresh seafood counter at the DB parknshop is amazing.

We haven't got quiet to the abandoning of our trolley just yet, in all the years we have lived here.

I don't understand why HK supermakets and service ( petrol ) stations are soooooooooo infuriatingly slow, at least twice maybe 3 times slower than experienced in some other developed cities.....

Hong Kong needs to lift its game, Dubai managed to introduce global retail service standards and excel, Hong Kong can too, if it "wants" to.....

I actually didnt mind shopping in Mainland china all that much, we had a Jusco and a Walmart, which had lots of check out lanes, never waited more than 4 customers deep.
    Last edited by Skyhook; 22-04-2008 at 12:02 PM.

further to my bbq idea...is there anywhere in DB where there are public bbq's - like in a park or something? hubby really liked it today...

Quote Originally Posted by elle:
    Soooo glad to hear that Elle! Do you ever go to Tung Chung to the wet markets?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast