Vicky Flores - Discovery Bay maid's death

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Talked with four Filipina at bus stop today. They admitted they are concerned the police will do nothing. One of the women indicated she was a little scared, but didn't say why. The whole situation looks very suspicious and the police don't have the ability to investigate their (Filipino) problems.

I'm with you on this. If the employers haven't been taken in for some VERY serious questioning then the police are failing in their job.

Quote Originally Posted by KnowItAll:
    NO NO and NO again. Lets not turn HK into a clone of the US / UK / EU where everything is regulated, monitored and unionized.
    It really does not need more regulation, just enforcing the regulations that are there already and in a way that does not impact so negatively on the helper who complains. For example there is a minimum wage, rules on time off, rules on providing food, etc but they can all be ignored. There was another one in Mid levels recently where the helper was denied food and depended on friends giving her food to survive.

>> enforcing the regulations

God knows the cops and authorities can get VERY lazy here, specially when it comes to non-"gwailo" and non-chinese issues.

Gotten into a car accident? They'll encourage you to settle ..
    Been burgled? They'll tell you upfront its probably never going to get solved... due to the robber being a mainland illegal...
    A gwailo's dog gets poisoned .. the swat team is called out on Bowen road.

(And I mean gwailo in the nicest possible way... )

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    I'm with you on this. If the employers haven't been taken in for some VERY serious questioning then the police are failing in their job.
    "Initial police investigations found no evidence of a dispute before she left the home, and police are investigating whether her death was a case of suicide or an accident."

"A postmortem examination found no cause of suspicion"

I think everyone needs to relax and take a deep breath. The police can't just go around and start forcing people to answer questions. If I were the employers and the police started doing that, I would tell them "piss off or charge us". So there is not much the police can do.

Quote Originally Posted by KnowItAll:
    A gwailo's dog gets poisoned .. the swat team is called out on Bowen road.
    To befair, said gwailo happened to be the Governor of Hong Kong at the time!
    I suspect the SEALS would be called out too if Donald's carp were being victimised.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    According to the SCMP of today Vicky was last seen in Tung Chung trying to board a bus to the airport.

Yes - reading the SCMP today it seems clear that the police didn't just dump the case as previous reports suggested. Moreover, it seems that the employers rented a car "to go and look for her".

I guess the police forensics will be going over that car for DNA samples, just in case...

PDLM - You've been watching way too much CSI

Not really - it's one of many possible scenarios, and the presence or absence of Vicky's DNA in that car would go a long way towards excluding or proving it.