Like Tree548Likes

How do you think about the National Education?

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 42 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock:
    And who are you to impose your cultural norms on the people who were there thousands of years before you?
    If I see an adult sexually abusing a child I will subject them to my cultural norms with a very firm hand indeed Gruntfuttock......what would you do?
    MovingIn07 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bryant.english:
    What part are you missing?
    The part that says that today's generation be made to feel guilty of the misdeeds of the past generation. You are making sh!t up.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought:
    The part that says that today's generation be made to feel guilty of the misdeeds of the past generation. You are making sh!t up.
    Eh? No I'm not! The bloody Prime Minister even stood up and apologised on behalf of the nation....what are you on about?

Eh? No I'm not! The bloody Prime Minister even stood up and apologised on behalf of the nation....what are you on about?
    That isn't national education, it's called owning up and completing the past!

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock:
    I'll have some of whatever b.e is on please!
    I would be on it if I too had to live in Tuen Mun.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    What is the actual purpose of 'National Education'?

To make people understand what is needed to operate in a civil society?
    To make people feel proud of being ethnically Chinese?
    To make people feel proud of being a Chinese national?
    To make people learn important dates, locations, people, events to get a sense of unity?
    To make people not question single party politics?

The ultimate goal seems clouded in slogans and jargon.

Isn't Civic education and basic Chinese history already covered in other subjects so that just leave single party/race state nationalism.
    Hong Kong always be presented as Asia's international city and has been a Free port for century. Thus the situation is different to countries from CHINA to Western. We have people from different places, i.e. resident from Japanese, south Asia and western countries. That's why we're called as citizen (市民) instead of national.

Our education should be more diversified that includes Chinese history, HK development history, world history and civil education. I don't know if the content will be too much to a primary student but it is undoubtedly balanced and match to our situation.

Hi, anyone went to CGC office these days?

What worries me is that many locals I work with are apathetic, or show no interest in this subject because they don't see it as something that directly affects them(?!!) Either that or they are too scared to say what they really think.

dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mrdollars:
    What worries me is that many locals I work with are apathetic, or show no interest in this subject because they don't see it as something that directly affects them(?!!) Either that or they are too scared to say what they really think.
    If your coworkers are not parent I can understand.

Most (not to say all) of my coworkers who are parents have strong views (either way) on this issue.

Went to school in Australia. Fed a daily diet of Australia being the greatest place on Earth, 'The Lucky Country'. A land of natural beauty, gifts from the Earth.....rugged mountain ranges, blah, blahdy blah. Not too much stolen generation and Terra Nullius there. Still be that's taught nowadays and I bet most parents are crying foul too!

Teaching children to be patriots is normal and, you know, you might not like it but what happens if another Hitler comes along folks.

Of course China wants all of it's people to be patriotic ffs. This is not a Chinese thing.
    It's not. The history of Australia is much more balanced now.

I went to school in the UK and there was certainly no "love the country" rhetoric. It was a LONG time ago and I dropped it at 14 but my vague recollection is that it was a list of all the kings and queens and what they did plus a few bits about what life was like in England in various periods. I recall almost nothing being taught about recent history (the world wars etc) - it was all pre-Victorian era and all "national" not international. In other words, fairly useless but vaguely entertaining!

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 42 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 ... LastLast