Like Tree103Likes

Maybe moving to Hong Kong???? Advice seriously welcome

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    What's funny to me is that most of the people that say 25k-35k isn't much are paying less than that themselves. For a couple with no kids, I think it's a fantastic housing budget!

Reading the thread from start to end, I find the tone of some posters, whether they are right or wrong, can be quite off putting and I can understand the op wanting to leave.

Sent from my LT15i using GeoClicks Mobile
    Interesting to me but you have provided no useful advice to the OP. Plus you don't read well either. She said her husband has two kids from previous marriage. I assumed they would visit their Dad during holidays, etc. which means he will need a room for them. They are family, not guests. $35k is only fantastic if you live in Tuen Mun or someplace like that, but for midlevels, HV, and other expat enclaves (I've avoided using 'ghetto' since that might offend some sensibilities) it is not easy given what she said she wanted. Plus the budget is now $45k.

OK kids,

Requirements are:
    "where would you suggest i look at living. commute less than half hour to kowloon, 2 beds, facilities, safe, not seedy or rough, 25 to 35 per month,no car needed,balcony a must so i can go out for a cig. "

As I understand. on this basis, you can live anywhere in HK:
    Except HK Island South and the far North/East and West of the New Territories and Lantau (and the islands obviously)

This leaves you with quite a lot of choices.

1st advice: come for a week or two to explore OR get a Service Appartment for a month before settling (best if you can do both)

2nd advice: No places are really seedy here but some are much nicer than others so avoid older districts (some ppl like them, some don't, based on your criteria you would have a hard time in such district) such as Kowloon City, Kwun Tong...

3rd advice: Stick to newer developements and there are PLENTY:

In your price range: on Kowloon/NT side: Olyumpic Area, Hunghom Area (Royal Peninsula, Laguna Verde), Some parts of Shatin, Ma On Shan...

In your priice range: on Kowloon/NT side: Midlevels (but your choices will be restricted as compared to other areas since this is one of the most pricey place in HK and it can take more than 30mn to Kowloon depending which area you are in: ie minibus + MTR...), same for Happy Valley.

Else you can look at Sheung Wan, Causeway Bay and Tin Hau.
    The rest will take you more than 30 mn to Kowloon I would think (never timed it though)

Facilites are COMMON in most building that are 15 years or less.
    2 bedders in modern buikdings are usually made of one big room and one small room, in older buildings both rooms are usually larger.

Get down here, take a look first and see for yourself. No amount of web searching will really help because the sqf is not correct and the pics are really really nicer than the reality very often. + while 45 mn back home means you live close to work, here people think you are trekking the whole day and live very very far...

So really ....relax, it will all go well, take a look at the places mentionned to have an idea but really best you come and see.

Btw, your housing allowance is GOOD and yes do NOT tell the real estated agent that you have one...they will assume you are one of those expats with tones of $.

Last edited by Mat; 12-09-2012 at 10:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    Can you please be specific about this. I'm genuinely curious. If you'd rather do it in a PM, that would be fine too.
    I guess different people interpret text in different ways. As I said, I personally found the tone of cetain posts to be off putting, condoscending, and in a way 'nagging' like my wife does when I come home from work. I get enough of that at home and its not something I want to listen to from strangers on the internet.
    MASTER-OF-HK likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by threelittlepigs:
    Interesting to me but you have provided no useful advice to the OP. Plus you don't read well either. She said her husband has two kids from previous marriage. I assumed they would visit their Dad during holidays, etc. which means he will need a room for them. They are family, not guests. $35k is only fantastic if you live in Tuen Mun or someplace like that, but for midlevels, HV, and other expat enclaves (I've avoided using 'ghetto' since that might offend some sensibilities) it is not easy given what she said she wanted. Plus the budget is now $45k.
    I dont really have any advice to the OP, other than to come and have a look around and I think they will be fine with a $25k-$35k budget. Some people here seem to imply that a $25k-$35k housing budget is some kind of hardship which is just rubbish.

I dont really have any advice to the OP, other than to come and have a look around and I think they will be fine with a $25k-$35k budget. Some people here seem to imply that a $25k-$35k housing budget is some kind of hardship which is just rubbish.
    No, it wouldn't get her the place she would want in Mid-levels was the start of the discord.

Yes, it is a lot of money and in many places in HK you would get somewhere nice. I had that budget when I got here, we decided to live in Mid-levels for practical reasons (a 6.30am start for Mr SS in Central being the main one). We ended up forgetting about the facilities and getting a place that wouldn't make me claustrophobic and that fitted a double bed in the master bedroom with it not blocking the door or having to be pushed up sideways against the wall!

Quote Originally Posted by Satay Sue:
    No, it wouldn't get her the place she would want in Mid-levels was the start of the discord.
    SS, if you read from the start, the OP doesnt have any preference for mid levels and doesnt even know where it is. It was certain posters here that just started assuming this and then people get carried away making all sorts of assumptions and then other people chimed in and told her she cannot afford mid levels. She doesnt even know where is it FFS!!! Can't you see my point and why the OP wants to delete her account and never come back? Then Moving has to jump on her high horse and tell her off for what?

Granted, the OP was too vague from the beginning and brought some of it on herself. But try reading the thread from the beginning FROM THE POINT OF VIEW OF SOMEONE WHO HAS NEVER USED GEOEXPAT before and doesnt know any of the posters here and how this site works. I think could be off putting, and can understand the OP getting pissed off with you lot.
    Mat likes this.

I'd just like to add the minor point that anyone recommending Tung Chung, Tuen Mun or Tseung Kwan O should be taken out and shot, and so should all their friends and family.

If you want an easy commute to Kwun Tong, and easy access to expat nightlife, Hung Hom is worth a look. Royal Peninsula are both nice modern complexes with good facilities....quite different floor plans though, RP is more western friendly layout.

SS, if you read from the start, the OP doesnt have any preference for mid levels and doesnt even know where it is. It was certain posters here that just started assuming this and then people get carried away making all sorts of assumptions and then other people chimed in and told her she cannot afford mid levels. She doesnt even know where is it FFS!!! Can't you see my point and why the OP wants to delete her account and never come back? Then Moving has to jump on her high horse and tell her off for what?

Granted, the OP was too vague from the beginning and brought some of it on herself. But try reading the thread from the beginning FROM THE POINT OF VIEW OF SOMEONE WHO HAS NEVER USED GEOEXPAT before and doesnt know any of the posters here and how this site works. I think could be off putting, and can understand the OP getting pissed off with you lot.
    Please see post no 25. She clearly stated that she wanted Mid-levels.

Sorry to be pedantic but bdw, the first mention of midlevels anywhere on this thread was post 19 by penguin, and it was only mentioned along with other options, as opposed to a direct recommendation. It was in post #25 that OP says she will delve deeper into midlevels. I don't see where people pointed her there. She said she did not want middle of city and that is why many of the first 17 posts did not mention midlevels (ccjenks said something about central early on but did not mention mid levels). Many people asked for more infor - like where her husband will work? It took til post 55 before she released that (ok, I get it, she probably did not know and had to ask hubby). Seriously, I don't see where anyone ragged on her first. Yes, there was conflicting advice, and advice which she did not want to hear, but that nature of forums (this one aint so special, theyre all like that).

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast