Like Tree238Likes

China vs Japan on islands now

Closed Thread
Page 17 of 26 FirstFirst ... 9 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 25 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by drumbrake:
    ...It's a dangerous game though. Today the Japanese embassy. Tomorrow a corrupt local official. Next week Zhongnanhai?
    This is just what I was thinking.

Surely they must realise that people have short memories, so the let's-all-join-hands-and-hate-Japan fad will come to pass, but as they allow their own population this bit of leeway, they (the protesters and observers alike) are only going to be emboldened to take their frustrations out on to the streets. Today, the target of their anger is the Japanese and that is acceptable to the gummint (under the false pretence of free speech).

Next their anger will be directed back at the gummint (or police), only this time they will be back on the streets and the rules are different (public disruption, anti-subversion et al).

There is no way this will end well.
    dear giant, East_coast and Gatts like this.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    It really was irresponsible of the Japanese Government to encourage the Hong Kong Police in their super high speed power boats to allow the protesters in a clapped out fishing boat evade them...

Unfortunately the blip in popularity didn't last very long for CY but it has been allowed to fester north of the river.
    Has nothing to do with Hong Kong. It's about the Japanese government 'officially' nationalizing the islands few days ago despite the ongoing dispute. Chinese people see it as a sign of aggression & possible hostility.
    Last edited by Creative83; 16-09-2012 at 01:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Creative83:
    ...sign of aggression & possible hostility.
    Yes, sending six patrol ships to the islands is an act of aggression and hostility on the part of the Japanese. Hey! Waaiiit a minute!
    Last edited by Dreadnought; 16-09-2012 at 02:01 AM.
    dear giant, Gatts and climber07 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought:
    Next their anger will be directed back at the gummint (or police), only this time they will be back on the streets and the rules are different (public disruption, anti-subversion et al).

There is no way this will end well.
    If it hastens the fall of the CCP, that would be pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Creative83:
    Has nothing to do with Hong Kong. It's about the Japanese government 'officially' nationalizing the islands few days ago despite the ongoing dispute. Chinese people see it as a sign of aggression & possible hostility.
    Was there a private buyer anywhere in Japan willing to take them? Probably not.

HK letting the fishing boat slip past the police was irresponsible. Hopefully it was just a lack of competence on the part of Asia's finest not direct orders from Beijing interfering with Hong Kong police matters. If the latter then a knock on the door after midnight is also feasible...
    bookblogger and dear giant like this.

How many countries China has problem with for Territory ?

dear giant and climber07 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by vroom:
    How many countries China has problem with for Territory ?
    Ummm let me think of the top of my head. Lets start Korea (maybe something there), Japan, Taiwan (though it's already part of China anyway...), Philippines, Vietnam, probably Malaysia. Laos (though Laos doesn't look like have any territorial right to the seas of Vietnam I am sure that they have some beef with them....)

Edit: also India but that was a number of years ago now with the Sino-India war.
    Last edited by virago; 16-09-2012 at 09:19 AM.
    dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by punchdrunk:
    The Government is putting these people up to protest. Since when can people protest without being clubbed by police in China.
    You are no doubt joking again as you noted that on another thread you didn't mean what you were saying but trying to get a rise. The irony is that some like this post - I assume likes is to agree with this.

The Chinese gov't fear the people. They fear uprisings as with their numbers and they would not be able to control mayhem and revolts. Seeing how easy it is to whoop up the people into a frenzy is no doubt why - that and the history of China.

The downside to being open with people is that they cannot balance the issues and come to a reasonable conclusion - that and the concept of face.

These islands have some history to Chinese - I get that - so Chinese want them back. Japan was brutal to China and Hong Kong in WW2 so that is never far from their thinking. No doubt some territorial water issues come in here for China as they need to lock up as much offshore resources they can for their population.

Quote Originally Posted by Football16:
    You are no doubt joking again as you noted that on another thread you didn't mean what you were saying but trying to get a rise. The irony is that some like this post - I assume likes is to agree with this.
    Having personally seen a rowdy very large crowd that included women and old ladies put down with brutal force the regime is merciless in imposing its will for the benefit of the country.

• These disturbances could be stopped within hours but they are not.
    • The press could be told to print calming articles but they are not.
    • National Education could explain that the current generation of Japanese leaders should not be blamed for the brutality of leaders 70 years ago but it is not
    • etc

There is much that could be done to quell the rising Japan-hating culture but it is not. Some would argue the Japanese leaders are being very restrained in their replies given the provocation.
    Last edited by East_coast; 16-09-2012 at 10:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by virago:
    Ummm let me think of the top of my head. Lets start Korea (maybe something there), Japan, Taiwan (though it's already part of China anyway...), Philippines, Vietnam, probably Malaysia. Laos (though Laos doesn't look like have any territorial right to the seas of Vietnam I am sure that they have some beef with them....)

Edit: also India but that was a number of years ago now with the Sino-India war.
    You forgot Russia, Pakistan & Butan
    virago and dear giant like this.

Closed Thread
Page 17 of 26 FirstFirst ... 9 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 25 ... LastLast