Do Expats really lower property prices?

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by KnowItAll:
    Are you sure they said "expats" and not "indians and africans". Lots of landlords around who have given instructions to their agents to not show their flats to Indians and africans.... you know, us dark, funny smelling people.
    Yeah, this one is weird. I spoke to a travel agent over the phone who said "the landlord wants to know where you are from".

My response let her know that I was fairly pissed off about this and she started going on about how it's completely normal normal for landlords to ask this. I assumed that it was more about whether I was Chinese or white, but on reflection it was probably more to find out if the English-speaking guy was Indian. I'd almost expect some degree of prejudice in many countries, but to have it so in-my-face was quite surprising.
    Last edited by jgl; 30-05-2008 at 06:03 PM.

Sorry, but I have been here 8 years now, and think I probably know the place a little better then most of you. (I say most, as I am sure some of you have been here a long time). If you remember, it used to be the peak where ONLY foreigners are allowed to live.

Obviously they have relaxed the enforcement of the rule, but it is definitely there. If you take the MTR in Kowloon side for example (in the morning commuters), you will not see any foreigners.

Quote Originally Posted by KnowItAll:
    HK's never had designated zones.
    Well, to be strictly correct, there was a designated zone, but the other way round. The Peak was forbidden by law as a residence for non-Europeans from 1904 to 1946.

Hm. Foreigners like living in buildings close to hospitals and cemeteries because of the cheaper rents. So maybe there is some correlation in some areas, if not an actual cause...

Quote Originally Posted by cheesypeas:
    Sorry, but I have been here 8 years now, and think I probably know the place a little better then most of you. (I say most, as I am sure some of you have been here a long time). If you remember, it used to be the peak where ONLY foreigners are allowed to live.

Obviously they have relaxed the enforcement of the rule, but it is definitely there. If you take the MTR in Kowloon side for example (in the morning commuters), you will not see any foreigners.
    BTW, where are these "designated zones"?

I think you meant to say you wont see "as many foreigners". There are plenty travelling Kowloon side and NT every morning.

Me thinks cheesypeas and Clovenpine are one and the same. Both come out with unbelievable rubbish, both been here 8 years. Both with a handful of posts.

>> Well, to be strictly correct, there was a designated zone, but
    >> the other way round. The Peak was forbidden by law as a
    >> residence for non-Europeans from 1904 to 1946.

Yeah, I meant the other way around ... as in you can only live in one area if you're a foreigner.

Cheesy - Oh don't get started on this "I've been here longer than you have .. " to justify a ridiculous post about Conduit road being a designated area.

Well, I challenge you to find a flat outside of mid-levels and you will see.

Hilarious and, of course, mostly wrong.

Also, there seems to be a connection between clovenpine and cheesypeas – remarkable similarities in their unreasonable and inflammatory statements, style/phrasing of their postings, etc. Probably the same person (KIA might want to check the server logs) – and (a) troll(s) in any case.