Moving to Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Lightbulb Moving to Hong Kong

Hello, this must be the 100th post of its kind but I have yet to find exactly the info i am looking for -
    I am relocating to Hong Kong in about a month, and am trying to find a place to live. here are the basic facts about me and the reasons for my move. after reading that, please can someone recommend a couple of apartment buildings that I should be looking for?

-I am 29 yrs old, recently engaged (so the 'size of the apt' criterion suddenly just jumped a tad!)
    -Going to be working for an inernational bank in Central as a trader (read: wanna be reasonably close to work, and love to party as well)
    -my budget is about 35-45 HKD.
    -the kind of building i am looking for would be modern and have a gym, pool, squash court, and the queen of england serving me tea (i realize that i might be asking for much)

I have done my research and the Midlevels keep cropping up as a recurrent suggestion for someone with my criteria. I want to make sure i am not missing anything else, and if not, within the midlevels what is the best area/buildings to go for?

thanks mucho for any advice.

A bit low end for a trader !

Dude

Assuming you are moving here to work in an Intl Bank as a trader and assuming they are paying your housing, the allowance looks a bit on the low side.

Anyway, given all the things you are asking for, you are looking for one of the more modern buildings in Mid-Levels either around Old Peak Road, McDonald Road, Robinson Road etc. Not all the building are going to have the sort of amenities you are looking for. And if they do, 45k is going to be oushing it.

I suggest you go for an older building and just join one of the many gyms around central and mid-levels.

Most of the building will have a pool but I doubt you will use it much.

As for the Queen of England.....just get a live in maid.

On the recently engaged thing, you do realise that your partner will not be able to reside in Hong Kong on the basis of that? You will need to be married (or they must have the right of abode, or have an Employment (or some other type of) Visa in their own right).

good info

thanks guys for the replies:
    a. I don't know what my expat package is yet, but it just seems unreal that my company would pay 40,000 HKD/USD 5000 on my apartment!! compared to nyc where i came from that seems so steep. but if anyone has had a good expat package i would love to know what the typical allowance is for housing.

also, i didnt know my fiance wont be able to live there under an engaged status so thank you. i am sure a long term tourist visa can be worked out instead.

Quote Originally Posted by wildwildeast:
    I would love to know what the typical allowance is for housing.
    Lots of "expats" don't get any housing allowance at all. The largest that anyone has owned up to on this board is HK$130,000 per month, although some top bankers get more than that I believe. Everyone else is somewhere in between! It all depends on how badly your employer feels they want you and how good a job the spin merchants have done on them with dodgy statistics:

"Ooooh, daaahling! Nobody could possibly live in Hong Kong with a housing allowance of less than US$10,000 per month!" (There are a surprising number of people here who genuinely seem to believe that.)

I have to second the opinion that your housing allowance is pretty ample.

My friend is moving to HK in August and is working as an entry-level investment position at a big U.S. bank. He's getting HKD15K/month in housing allowance.

I'm going to be working for another big U.S. firm and am not getting any kind of housing allowance.

Mid-levels is generally a good choice for working in Central. My banking friend had a temporary stint in HK before this permanent one, lived in Mid-Levels, and was able to run back to his apartment to shower during his 1 hour break while pulling all-nighters.

Even though you are only recently engaged you should definitely consider getting married to come here because it will mean your fiance can work here without needing sponsorship.

Coming here without that is going to make life difficult unless maybe if she is a teacher. Some people do come and go on tourist visas but depending on where you are from they are generally just 3-6 months long and if you get stopped then that will be it.

As for buildings the central, midlevels recommendation sounds right for you but you need to see the buildings for yourself and there are so many. Just walk into any of the million real estate agents when you arrive (several on Caine Road) and get them to start showing you places.

I lived in a building we loved called Cherry Crest. It was new 3 years ago, with big windows and surrounded by low rises which made it feel spacious. The gym and pool were tiny but you had them to yourself and the location was great.

Quote Originally Posted by larac:
    Even though you are only recently engaged you should definitely consider getting married to come here because it will mean your fiance can work here without needing sponsorship.
    Really not one of the top ten reasons to rush an engagement period.

Well he is going to get married some time otherwise he wouldn't have got engaged.

It could make the world of difference to their experience here if she plans to work and there is no reason why it needs to be more than the registry office and they can have a 'wedding' later.

Squash

Let me know if you are interested in playing a few games when you get here.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast