Like Tree11Likes

End of an era

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

End of an era

OK, admit it, who of you had a netbook at one point in the past five years?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...ooks-dead-2013

Last edited by pin; 02-01-2013 at 04:51 PM.
    closedcasket likes this.

Good timing. I just retired an old Samsung netbook at work today.

Replaced with a Dell Desktop ...

My Lil sis was "gifted" one by a relative and she even managed to write several essays with it! For me they are a blight on the computing world. Too small to be productive and too light powered for almost anything. Hmm, maybe I can rejuvenate one by swapping in an ssd...

Honestly the performance of our netbook was pretty decent (had upgraded the RAM and it ran Win XP).

Ironically the top selling "Laptop" on Amazon right now is a ChromeBook.

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-E...e_3_1232596011

My Mrs has one at home but rarely uses it after I got her a tablet last year and the netbook battery sucks, bulky size and weight.

I've got a Samsung N110 and I've been using it for over 3 years, its fab. Runs windows 7 pro. Office 2010....I love it. Just to add, it is still a reasonably high spec. computer and cost 320 quid new....still leaves any iPad in its dust...

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using GeoClicks Mobile

Last edited by bryant.english; 02-01-2013 at 06:33 PM.

Im sorry, but a netbook is just a small and light laptop and they havent gone anywhere. They just changed the name to 'ultrabook' to fool some idiots into thinking its something different and they need to buy one.

bryant.english likes this.

Never owned a laptop, netbook or tablet PC. Been on desktop PCs since the early '90s.

dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    Im sorry, but a netbook is just a small and light laptop and they havent gone anywhere. They just changed the name to 'ultrabook' to fool some idiots into thinking its something different and they need to buy one.
    To be fair, ultrabooks are a bit bigger; typical 10in 1024*600 as opposed to 13in 1368*768. Ultrabooks are far better designed, they remain portable and retain decent power.

Ultrabooks target the higher-end market to compete with the Macbook Air and can also feature larger screens (14-15"), so they aren't quite like netbooks which want to be cheap and small; even though some Ultrabook features are similar to those of netbooks so are some features of tablets.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast