Like Tree7Likes

Democracy or Republic

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Everyone knows freedom means being able to carry a gun
    And being able to kill five of one's co-workers because one's supervisor insisted on safety googles...

Quote Originally Posted by redwriter:
    All the people on here are from dictatorships under a Queen and not true elected rulers.
    Shush now. Some of us came from countries that actually fought for our independence. It's not just America that pushed back the British.

That said, a monarchy isn't a dictatorship. Many have been peacefully abolished in modern times on the peoples' vote.

(Me: Irish.)

One of the advantages of a constitutional monarchy is that you get somebody who has been trained since birth for the job ... Pity Bush only got a fraction of the legacy!

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    One of the advantages of a constitutional monarchy is that you get somebody who has been trained since birth for the job ... Pity Bush only got a fraction of the legacy!
    It does lead to the occasional crazy inbred too though. (Also see Bush.)
    ouwen likes this.

Yep - tis true! I like the checks and balances of NOT having everyone elected though - if you do not have to worry all the time about popular opinion I think people are free to make better decisions. Not that the Queen actually has any decision making power, but the house of Lords in the UK used to be in this position (I think they are slowing being phased out unfortunately...)

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    How much training does it take to wave a hand?

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Just Googled it. Weird system. I always thought the people in the state voted for the candidate they wanted and then the electoral college members were meant to vote the same way. Didn't realise you didn't actually vote for the presidential candidate but for some unknown who promises to vote for the person you wanted. Never understood why you couldn't just have a normal vote and cut out the college.
    The founders did not trust the common man. US Senators were elected by the State legislature, women could not vote, had to own land to vote, etc....

And Claire ex-ax, did you have actual examples of that list or were you just making a list? I don't doubt that there are actual examples, I just question your overly broad statement. You can't be arrested for wearing an anti-war t-shirt nor for carrying a sign. Something else was the reason for the arrest. You can travel across the USA, I have done it many times and personally know people who are doing it right now. All free speech isn't limited to certain zones, "unreasonable searches" is in the eye of the searchee, just as "cruel and unusual punshment" is in the eye of the punishee. Americans have a ton of access to due process/counsel/fair trial/public trial/impartial jury There are more lawyers per capita in the US than anywhere else).

Quote Originally Posted by Sleuth:
    There are more lawyers per capita in the US than anywhere else).
    Are you seriously suggesting that this is a good thing? I'm pretty sure it is not something that the rest of the world envies.

No, not a good thing. I have a more "Shakespearan" attitude about lawyers.
    Just pointing out that if there was no due process, counsel, trials, etc... there would not be as many lawyers.

Fair enough, but all of the developed democracies seem to me to have sufficient process. The problems arise from the laws which are enacted by some of the political leaders (for example the complete freedom to intercept any and all private communications without any judicial oversight whatsoever, as just enacted in the US).

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast