Which LCD Full-HD TV to buy?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Question Samsung latest model Series 6 (650/656 HDTV) in HK?

Sounds like you're on my wavelength Nefior!

I've been asking salespeople in HK stores when they are likely to stock the new Samsung 650/656 Series (LA46A650 or the LE46A656 version sold in the UK) rather than the lower spec 610 series they have just started pushing here. The only answer I get vary from "no idea" to "in a few months time". Instead they are keen to do deals on the LA46F81B model, their current high end TV with 30000:1 contrast and the 100Mhz/Movieplus feature. I've been offered a 30% discount off the list price for this highest end version which makes me think they have pressure to move these old stock before they bring in the new higher spec 650/656 models?

I'd prefer to hold off until the 650/656 series comes out here in HK but have no idea how long this could take.

Anyone have any ideas???

Also does anybody hire/rent HDTV's on a monthly basis in HK? Thinking I might do this to tide me over till these new models arrive in HK.

This is the UK spec (US 650 series is similar) anyway which has been on the market there since April/May 08.

LE46A656 LCD - television SAMSUNG

Quote Originally Posted by dbjjenkins:
    Sounds like you're on my wavelength Nefior!

I've been asking salespeople in HK stores when they are likely to stock the new Samsung 650/656 Series (LA46A650 or the LE46A656 version sold in the UK) rather than the lower spec 610 series they have just started pushing here. The only answer I get vary from "no idea" to "in a few months time". Instead they are keen to do deals on the LA46F81B model, their current high end TV with 30000:1 contrast and the 100Mhz/Movieplus feature. I've been offered a 30% discount off the list price for this highest end version which makes me think they have pressure to move these old stock before they bring in the new higher spec 650/656 models?

I'd prefer to hold off until the 650/656 series comes out here in HK but have no idea how long this could take.

Anyone have any ideas???

Also does anybody hire/rent HDTV's on a monthly basis in HK? Thinking I might do this to tide me over till these new models arrive in HK.

This is the UK spec (US 650 series is similar) anyway which has been on the market there since April/May 08.

LE46A656 LCD - television SAMSUNG
    My gut feeling tells me that the Samsung 650 might not be coming to HK at all.

Why do I think that?

Around the same time that the 610 was released in HK, the 650 was released in Singapore and Vietnam. Both Singapore and Vietnam don't sell the 610.

So to me, it almost seems like Samsung decided not to sell the 650 in HK (perhaps because of the red colored bezel?).

The Samsung 610 is positioned to compete directly with the Sony w400a. I f you look at their specs, they're almost identical (I believe they even share the same LCD panels).

So from a strategic point of view, at this point they have no real need to launch the 650 here.

Again, I have no proof for this... just a gut feeling.

can someone explain why i can get 1920 x 1080 HDMI on an Olevia 26" which is just rated at 1366x768? BTW TV & AV are just so so but the HDMI is a pleasure to use.

actual view is better than this

Olevia.com

Quote Originally Posted by mengfei:
    can someone explain why i can get 1920 x 1080 HDMI on an Olevia 26"
    HDTV's downscale to your native resolution, unfortunately many crappy sets downscale to 480i/p on 1080i/p sources leaving you with a poor picture.

Its not all about the panel even a 3-4 year old panel will do just fine, Motion blur come from the video processor inside that is used.
    And im not talking about the Pixelplus, smartTV, ultra blizz mega picture enhancer bla bla bla garbage either.
    Make sure that the unit you get has a VP from Genesis or similar manufacturers, and that its not a pre current gen that they slapped there to save a buck or two in production cost.
    That's much more important than the panel itself if you ask me.

Thanks for this....I agree it seems odd but is the red bezel bound to be such a big thing in HK?

I found the alternative of buying it in the UK and shipping it here stil works out cheaper than the 610 series so took the plunge and bought one.....Samsung here assure me it will work fine in HK as well. |Better or I'm long a flash TV!

Quote Originally Posted by dbjjenkins:
    Thanks for this....I agree it seems odd but is the red bezel bound to be such a big thing in HK?

I found the alternative of buying it in the UK and shipping it here stil works out cheaper than the 610 series so took the plunge and bought one.....Samsung here assure me it will work fine in HK as well. |Better or I'm long a flash TV!
    Wow, you are one brave soldier

Please do post your experience in this thread. I'm very interested to know how it works here in HK and what other challenges (if any!) you encounter.

Help! Samsung LA46A610 versus LA46A550?

I am trying to figure out what the real difference between these two TVs is. They sell both in Beijing and believe me, it is not easy to understand the technical difference in Chinese.

Is the only difference that the 610 has a glossy screen vs the matte finish of the 550? In looking at the Samsung website, there doesn't seem to be any difference so I can't figure out why they are selling both models - especially as the price is almost the same here in China (The 610 is a little bit more expensive).

Many thanks to anyone who can provide any insight.

Quote Originally Posted by TERRYS:
    I am trying to figure out what the real difference between these two TVs is. They sell both in Beijing and believe me, it is not easy to understand the technical difference in Chinese.
    So read the English, muppet.

The 550 has a larger bevel.

LA46A610 LCD TV - televisions SAMSUNG
    LA46A550 LCD TV - televisions SAMSUNG

Quote Originally Posted by TERRYS:
    here in China
    I hope you are referring relative to you living in Beijing.

muppet?

Thanks, I was able to look up the info for the two models on the Samsung website previously. So tell me how a larger bevel justifies selling two completely different models?

Not sure what the quip about the relative living in China was all about. Wake up on the wrong side of bed today?