Like Tree2Likes

Working in Kowloon

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock:
    Where the vast majority of households are local Chinese, despite the clearly ludicrous assertions of several posters here.
    Then why is the default area of choice for noob expats is mid levels?

We live in Olympic and find it very convenient with the nearby Tung Chung line which gets you into Central with 2 stops and also good access to the airport if you are going to travel a bit.
    Mong Kok is only a 10 min walk away through Olympian mall and hermitage mall then just 2 blocks to Nathan road.
    Everyone had their own opinion and I had my doubts about here at first but now don't regret it and love it around here for its sheer convenience.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    Then why is the default area of choice for noob expats is mid levels?
    Presumably because, like me, they value the convenience of living there. In my 14 years here I've looked many times in detail at moving to other areas and viewed many properties all over the territory, but each time I've come to the conclusion that I prefer the mid-levels.

And so do very many local Chinese (far more than the number of expats).

Where the vast majority of households are local Chinese, despite the clearly ludicrous assertions of several posters here.
    ok, re phrased, one of the highest demographic proportional density areas where expats live when compared to other areas ( apart from disco bay)

That's true, but it's still only about 20% I believe, so it's hardly an expat ghetto!

What is an expat-friendly area? Do they have expat drop-in centres? Free welcome mats outside the doors of all expats? Bi-lingual expat guides to help you wave down taxis?

are there expat-unfriendly areas in HK?

Have never got this phrase and certainly don't understand it in the context of Olympic

Imperial Cullinan in Olympic could be a good choice. Brand new building, $32k for 1200 sqf. Im very surprised at the price actually, thought it would be much higher. Its actually a lot cheaper than the ageing central park on top of the MTR. For some reason, their car park is expensive though. $5800 per month and full of Maserati and Ferrari at the moment.

half of the chatter on this forum is turning more and more away from the OPs' original questions to back and forth bickering between all the regular posters on here... but, im not complaining, it still makes for interesting reading... or people like me not contributing either, oh well... maybe i should just delete this post afterwards

Quote Originally Posted by shenwen:
    What is an expat-friendly area? Do they have expat drop-in centres? Free welcome mats outside the doors of all expats? Bi-lingual expat guides to help you wave down taxis?

are there expat-unfriendly areas in HK?

Have never got this phrase and certainly don't understand it in the context of Olympic

I'm guessing he means areas that have a larger proportion of expats....resulting in more western restaurants and western shops. The classic examples being Sai Kung or Disco bay

A place like Sheung Shui for instance has very few western restaurants and shops (save McDonalds, KFC etc). Of course expats live in Sheung Shui, but if you want to shop at a taste or city super....you are almost 30 minutes away.

That's true, but it's still only about 20% I believe, so it's hardly an expat ghetto!
    from just looking at the faces on the bus, I'd say Gold Coast (residences plus marina only) is far more than 20% expat. perhaps we are an expat Ghetto!

I know someone who will certainly agree with the Ghetto part.