Like Tree156Likes

Your most hated spot in Hong Kong?

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Haha let's join in the BO debate.

All I can say is my wife is Chinese and I am a gweilo, and there is no competition - My socks at the end of a summer's day are MUCH worse than hers Bordering on toxic. After playing sport? Might as well burn them and use them as fuel.

Sorry to my fellow caucasians for ruining the sweet smelling image you're building.

Disclaimer: I do not believe this is apparent on the MTR, due to a marvellous contraption known as shoes, and another known as deodorant.

dear giant and Satay Sue like this.

The spot I guess are HK sidewalks.

Hate is too strong a word for me as that takes too much energy to get worked up about things that much.

This is not about HK locals but HK generally.

People never move aside - seems to be like a game of chicken and this is expats too (some of the worst blocking the sidewalks and smoking.

Here there seems to be no sense of how to even pass someone coming toward you. Expats and locals never move - regardless of age.

Having said that I must admit that back home I am not walking much like here or am walking the dog in the burbs where there are so few people.

Also the back home sidewalks aren't narrow.

But there are many examples where the opposite is true.

Then there are the umbrella wars where they won't use any sort 'I go high, you low'. It is not deemed rude behaviour - just the way it is here.

But I don't meet a lot of expats here who are exactly models of decorum either.

Last edited by Football16; 21-03-2013 at 03:53 PM.
    Watercooler and dear giant like this.

Now - The place I hate most in HK?

Sheung Shui.

If you don't know why, take a day trip there and report back!

Watercooler, Gatts, elle and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by justjoe86:

All I can say is my wife is Chinese and I am a gweilo, and there is no competition - My socks at the end of a summer's day are MUCH worse than hers Bordering on toxic. After playing sport? Might as well burn them and use them as fuel.

Sorry to my fellow caucasians for ruining the sweet smelling image you're building.

Disclaimer: I do not believe this is apparent on the MTR, due to a marvellous contraption known as shoes, and another known as deodorant.
    you make out that your used socks are like dried elephant dung, actually, mine can be bad though i have spare socks in the office ( as well as a shirt) for those hot summer days
    dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gilleshk:
    Apparently asians seem to sweat least of all, and some research papers says that they are well-known for having little body odor.
    On the MTR, when I do smell something bad its usually a Chinese person reeking of cigarettes. Smelling BO is quite rare for me in Hong Kong.

Compare this to Toronto or NewYork where BO was/is a regular assault on the senses..

Quote Originally Posted by Football16:
    The spot I guess are HK sidewalks.

Hate is too strong a word for me as that takes too much energy to get worked up about things that much.

This is not about HK locals but HK generally.

People never move aside - seems to be like a game of chicken and this is expats too (some of the worst blocking the sidewalks and smoking.

Here there seems to be no sense of how to even pass someone coming toward you. Expats and locals never move - regardless of age.

Having said that I must admit that back home I am not walking much like here or am walking the dog in the burbs where there are so few people.

Also the back home sidewalks aren't narrow.

But there are many examples where the opposite is true.

Then there are the umbrella wars where they won't use any sort 'I go high, you low'. It is not deemed rude behaviour - just the way it is here.

But I don't meet a lot of expats here who are exactly models of decorum either.
    aaah umbrellas....my pet hate here is when it's raining and there are always some people without umbrellas who take shelter under the overhangs as they walk along the street (me sometimes)...only to come face to face with a wall of umbrella-bearing walkers insisting on going under the overhangs as well!
    dear giant, Satay Sue and Cwbguy like this.

The inside of all forms of public transport.

*edit* No, no, wait....Apliu Street - hate that place.

Last edited by INXS; 21-03-2013 at 04:16 PM.
    dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by justjoe86:

I would say gender, not ethnicity is the reason your feet smell worse than your wife..
    dear giant likes this.

In HK, I think the bad breath is worse than the BO.

Didn't much notice BO in London (though I did tend to avoid the Tube during summer rush hours), but if you want to experience really bad summertime BO, head over to Germany...

dear giant, TheBrit and bffallo like this.

Hehehe, I should add anywhere near the HK stadium during the rugby sevens ranks pretty high on my dislike spot list... The place becomes like a hardcore version of LKF during those 3 days of non-stop booze .

Last edited by Watercooler; 21-03-2013 at 06:30 PM.
    carang and dear giant like this.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast